Ubuntu 8.10 USB Image for UMPC

Discussion in 'Linux' started by dschmutz, Nov 12, 2008.

1. dschmutz

dschmutz

I've downloaded and installed the USB image of Ubuntu 8.10 designed for ultra mobile PC on my Acer Aspire ONE. It seems to work well, I've been able to do most everything I want, but I can't get the wireless to work. When I check drivers, it informs me that the driver to support Atheros cards for 802.11 is installed and active. However, when I open Administration - network tools, the only devices listed are loopback and the wired card. No wireless. I have configured a connection for wireless, including setting the security key (currently using WEP 128) but it does not get a connection. I can't really tell if the wireless card is active, and I can't figure out how to check for what wireless nets are available. From some posts I've read, I should be able to put the card in roaming mode and see whatever is out there. I'm kind of new to Linux so I don't know everywhere to look.

Would someone please tell me how to find out if the wireless is working, and how to set its configuration? I noticed one of the forum responses said there should be an entry for ath5k in the /etc/modules file. There is no such line, but I don't know what to put in to correct it.

Thanks for any help.

Doug

dschmutz, Nov 12, 2008
  2. dschmutz

Andysan

OK, if you read my last post forget it, i am talking about an out of date copy of Ubuntu (rightly pointed out by bit-ninja-thanks).

First, disable ath_pci( use ath5k ): Goto System->HardwareDrivers-> ( disable Atheros 802.11 wireless lan cards )

Now, launch a terminal (should be Applications>Accssories>Terminal). Copy and paste the following and hit Enter on your keyboard:

Code:
      sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-intrepid-generic <
    >
    Goto System->HardwareDrivers-> ( enable 5xxx series of Atheros 802.11 wireless lan cards )

Finally, in a terminal:

Code:
    sudo modprobe ath5k
    You will have to run that last command each time you boot, so to have this happen automatically enter the following in a terminal:

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/modules
    And on a new line (in the text file, not the terminal,) paste the following:

sudo modprobe ath5k

Look in the Interpid Ibex section here for more info:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne

Report back if any problems! ;)

Andysan, Nov 12, 2008
  3. dschmutz

bit-ninja

For 8.10, I would look here

http://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne110L

I think you are using the wrong driver. My "Support for Atheros 802.11 wireless LAN cards." is disabled. The driver I have activated is "Support for 5xxx series of Atheros 802.11 wireless LAN cards" which you have to install from the Ubuntu "backports". See the link above for the details.

Also, I did not have to add anything to /etc/modules.

bit-ninja, Nov 12, 2008
  4. dschmutz

dschmutz

Thanks to both of you. I also found that I had to press the on/off switch to turn in on, but now it works just fine.

Doug.

dschmutz, Nov 13, 2008
  5. dschmutz

Jepser

I have downloaded the image from http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/intrepid/release/ and wrote the img to my usb-pen with imagewriter but when i reboot my AA1 it doesn't boot from the usb even though it should. I have booted several of other distro without any problem, does anybody know why this one give me a problem?!

I have offcourse tried to re-write the image to the usb-pen.

Jepser, Feb 3, 2009
  6. dschmutz

itres

I also had some difficulties but I tried again writing the image with dd and I've manage to boot and install it.

Grtz,

itres, Feb 9, 2009
  7. dschmutz

bjlockie

got the wireless to work but wired is not working now. :-(

bjlockie, Feb 9, 2009
Ask a Question