ubuntu 10.4 usb iso

Discussion in 'Linux' started by poch, May 17, 2011.

1. poch

poch

How do I boot in using Ubuntu 10.4 iso in USB?

poch, May 17, 2011
  2. poch

Forone

The directions here are bullet proof and very well illustrated - open up and review all the Show Me How steps:

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download

Be sure you go into BIOS in the Acer and reset the boot order so that USB is at the top.

Additionally, if you want to keep using the Live USB and save your settings between boots, you have to install "Persistent" option after Step 2 of the Ubuntu directions above: the settings on the PenDrive installer are pretty clear.

I'm currently using a 4GB USB drive, with 2.5GB set for "Persistence" and it's very snappy on my first generation (XP on the hard drive) unit. There's plenty of room on that for an office suite, GIMP, Google Earth, FF and Chrome browsers. Even a 2GB USB drive with 1GB each for the OS and "Persistence" will do just fine.

Performance tip: wherever possible either run applications in RAM (e.g. set FireFox to disable hard drive cache) and set GIMP and similar applications so that caches and swap files access the hard disk drive and not the little USB drive.

Forone, May 18, 2011
Ask a Question