True Beginner Questions

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Susieville, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Susieville

Susieville

OK guys go easy on me ;)
    I just got this little baby yesterday and was disappointed it didn't come with an instruction manual. Using XP & Internet Explorer.

Having a little problem with the scrolling.
    1.How do you get that little circle thing that shows you are in the scrolling mode to activate...it activates when I don't want to ,and when I want to, it doesn't.

2. Also what's up with the touchpad. Can you double click on it? If I hit it pretty hard it works...is there an easier way?

3. Is there anyway to save the custom zoom setting...it like it at 110 and I have to keep readjusting it.

4. When I copy a url and right click to make a desktop shortcut, that option doesn't come up.
    I'm sure there will be many more questions.
    thanks

Susieville, Dec 13, 2008
  2. Susieville

info

I don't use IE so I can't help you there but, insofar as the touchpad is concerned, go to Start/Control Panel/Printers and other Hardware/Mouse and click on the Device Settings Tab, then on Settings. Spend some time here, looking at how to set the four corners of the touchpad (many other goodies as well). You can adjust the sensitivity of the touchpad in this area under Sensitivity/Touch Sensitivity. I like to set it at the most senstive position.

Good Luck Susie!

info, Dec 13, 2008
  3. Susieville

goofball

1. Are you using the touchpad or an external mouse? that's normally reserved for middle click and when it is set to scroll.

2. Yes, that is what they call "tapping" in the mouse properties

3. Not sure, will look this one up

4. You should use the file -> send -> shortcut to desktop within IE

goofball, Dec 13, 2008
  4. Susieville

Guest Guest

Susieville, I just plugged an old 3-button mouse in and the scroll thing is associated with the middle button. It appears when I click, and disappears when I click again. Moving the mouse cursor up or down activates the scrolling. For years, on my desktop and office PCs I've used a wheel-mouse and I've never seen that icon before. I guess it just depends on the type of mouse and how windows recognizes it.

My touchpad works to my satisfaction including double-clicking. As some-one said you can adjust the operation and sensitivity of all touchpads.

I'm not sure what you are referring to as custom zoom unless it is the free Windoze download/install that you enable with ALT+Z. Or maybe this is something in the Acer that I haven't noticed yet. Regardless, F11 is worth remembering with this size screen. It hides the toolbars in Firefox & IE.

Can't help with the right click URL copying you mention. I'm not sure how it is supposed to work. I use XPH and Firefox.

Guest, Dec 14, 2008
  5. Susieville

Susieville

Thanks guys for your quick response. Found the tapping section. Had to set it to highest sensitivity. FABULOUS!! Also readthe instructions on the scrolling...that will take a little more practice. Still wish there was a way to lock in a "custom zoom" setting on the bottom above the system tray.

Would love a section here on little tricks that you discovered that are not real technical. I didn't even know about the tapping until a friend told me.

You will definately be hearing from me again!
    Susieville
    PS: I play alot of Scrabble online at www.lexulous.com and Iwas so happy that i could play and could see the whole screen!

Susieville, Dec 14, 2008
  6. Susieville

info

Susieville, If you haven't already, install Firefox and look at the extensions, they will do pretty much anything you want. That's quite a trick, really. ;)

info, Dec 14, 2008
  7. Susieville

Susieville

Thanks. I did install firefox and it can really handle the zoom function well there. I appreciate your help! :D

Susieville, Dec 15, 2008
  8. Susieville

ZmyDust

Have you found your answer to this? I'd really like to get rid of this, its extremely annoying.

ZmyDust, Dec 18, 2008
  9. Susieville

Susieville

I learned to live with it!

Susieville, Dec 19, 2008
Ask a Question