Trouble with touch pad and login

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by vanman, Nov 8, 2008.

1. vanman

vanman

Last week my aa1 with xp starting acting weird. The left button beside the touch pad would stop working for a while as well as the double tap, but the right button and the mouse movement was still ok. Problematic for logging in. When I borrowed my friend's USB mouse, the touchpad worked fine again. :?

My solution was switch to left handed mouse setting. Now I wait forever at the login screen for the arrow to turn into a hand which is needed to click on the user and login. Even using firefox, that hand sometimes doesn't appear, making my attempts at clicking useless (yet I can click on the refresh and other browser buttons). :(

It's been functioning great up until recently. Not sure if this is a software or hardware issue.

Any solutions would be greatly appreciated.

vanman, Nov 8, 2008
  2. vanman

goofball

tried different driver set?

goofball, Nov 8, 2008
  3. vanman

nexus5

vanman did you figure out what happened? The same thing has happened to me this morning. The mouse works properly but the left button and the double tap on the touch pad don't work.

Thanks for help

Nexus5

nexus5, Nov 9, 2008
  4. vanman

Zaireeka

Thats really strange - exactly the same thing happened to me starting last Thursday. Like you i switched across to 'left handed' but its far from a perfect solution. Cant imagine what could have happened to cause it or why this has happened to three people within the space of a couple of days. If anyone figures out what the problem is then please let us know!! Im thinking i might just have to send it back for repair otherwise..

Zaireeka, Nov 10, 2008
  5. vanman

Zaireeka

Mine is an XP version as well, so i wonder if thats got anything to do with it?

Zaireeka, Nov 10, 2008
  6. vanman

vanman

Haven't figured out the solution. Bought a usb mouse though. Noticed system is running a little sluggish lately too.

Wondering if a system update made it go weird.

I'll try reinstalling the driver to see if makes a diff.

vanman, Nov 11, 2008
  7. vanman

nexus5

I reinstalled the driver and it didn't help. Did any of you try to reinstall Windows? I am thinking about it but I'd like to ask first, before wasting time and pulling hair from my head :evil:

nexus5, Nov 11, 2008
  8. vanman

Zaireeka

I havent tried reinstalling xp yet. Although im not that sure how i would be able to do that as i dont have a back-up copy..

Zaireeka, Nov 11, 2008
  9. vanman

nexus5

OK, so I called the customer center. Waited maybe 5 min on hold so it wasn't bad. They told me to send it back :evil: . I don't want to loose the computer for a month or so. Does anyone know how to fix it?

nexus5, Nov 11, 2008
  10. vanman

nexus5

Hi,

Sent it back and waiting for replacement. I hope the new one will last longer...

nexus5, Nov 11, 2008
  11. vanman

Zaireeka

Just as an update to this, I sent my Aspire back last Wednesday for repair and received it back working pefectly yesterday. Apparently they replaced the FRUS (not sure what that is). Fairly painless experience..

Zaireeka, Nov 25, 2008
  12. vanman

Astralmind

arg ! I have the exact same issue but don't want to send the laptop in...

Anybody tried reinstalling WinXp ? Obviously, it's a system update as a lot of people suddently are experiencing this problem.. hardware can't magically give up like that (and, considering that I can re-assign any other tapping function, I am pretty sure it is software)

Astralmind, Nov 26, 2008
  13. vanman

Zaireeka

I dont know - i assume from the fact that the FRUS had to be replaced that meant it was a hardware fault, but youre right that it does seem a bit odd that it has happened to a few people within a very short space of time. The only thing i would say though is that I really didnt want to have to send it back either but getting it sorted was really easy - phoned up Acer on the Tuesday, they gave me the details of their courier so i could call them to come and pick it up the next day (i just sent it back in the box it came in) and then i had it back with me by the next Monday. Pretty quick.

Zaireeka, Nov 26, 2008
  14. vanman

Hannahbannahboo

Re: Trouble with touch pad - right and left click

Has anyone found a solution to this problem other than plugging in a mouse or sending the machine back? I bought my daughter one for Christmas - just a bog standard version with nothing added on or downloaded - and the click buttons either side of the touchpad have just stopped working but work when I plug a mouse in.

Any help gratefully received. Thanks

Hannahbannahboo, Dec 27, 2008
  15. vanman

johntor

Hello every body I had a dead touch pad after suspend. I restarted without any change also dead in linux. I removed the battery for a few seconds and I pressed power on to discharge all capacitors. I reinstalled battery and everything works fine.

I hope it helps you , too
    J!

johntor, Jan 1, 2009
  16. vanman

ndirons

Re: Trouble with touch pad

Thanks for that tip, worked for me. Been using it for one week and have only done updates, installed skype off the acer site and enabled terminal mode before touchpad went dead.

(Alternatively you could throw it down the stairs. Won't fix it . . . but you will feel better.)

Regards

ndirons, Jan 3, 2009
  17. vanman

phatpinoy38

Right click concern

Hi guys, I'm having a little trouble with my right click in the touchpad. I didn't want to make a new topic, so I figured I'd post in this topic...

Does the right click on your touchpad sink in more than the left click? The left click for me is solid.. like I touch it, and there's pressure back. But the right click sinks in before you actually hit the right click button. Does that make sense? I don't know if it's just mine.

phatpinoy38, Jan 3, 2009
  18. vanman

Zaireeka

Re: Right click concern

Dont worry, i believe thats just a slight design flaw. Certainly its the same on mine, but doesnt seem to cause any problems.

Zaireeka, Jan 3, 2009
  19. vanman

johntor

Dear friends with buttons problems,
    If you have windows as operating system you can enable tap zones from Synaptics software. I have set the top right corner as right-click and the top-left as middle-click, for click I just tap. I think is very cool an you don't make silly noises from the best quality touch pad!!!

Chears

johntor, Jan 6, 2009
  20. vanman

sproot

FRUs are Field Replaceable Units :lol:

sproot, Jan 7, 2009
Ask a Question