Touchpad stops responding

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by ashpire, Mar 15, 2009.

1. ashpire

ashpire

I have a problem with the touchpad and its buttons on my A110, sometimes it just completely stops to respond to any movements. Then sometimes it starts working normally again after a while, but not always. Fn+F7 doesn't help. When the touchpad gets stuck, the pc sometimes shuts itself down (!), (but usually not). I tried ubuntu and win xp, and the problem appeared there too, and also already during setup. A usb-mouse works perfectly.

So does anyone have any ideas what I should do?

ashpire, Mar 15, 2009
  2. ashpire

caulktel

This is really weird, mine just started doing the same thing. I checked to see if there is a new driver available, but the one I'm using is the latest one. If anybody has a clue please let us know.

caulktel, Mar 15, 2009
  3. ashpire

caulktel

Bump! :D

caulktel, Mar 17, 2009
  4. ashpire

ashpire

For me I think this happens a little bit more when the compter is connecter to the charger. I'm not sure but it fees like it happens a little bit less when the pc is running just on battery, but maybe it just feels so.
    Any ideas on how to fix it would be appriciated :)

ashpire, Mar 21, 2009
  5. ashpire

caulktel

My track pad just quit all together, I reboot and it still would not work, then I shut down and pulled the battery out for about 5 min. That got it working again which tells me its hardware related and not software or drivers. Maybe a bios issue, I'm running 3309 right now, which version are you using? I would really like to get to the bottom of this, otherwise I will be sending it back to Acer.

caulktel, Mar 22, 2009
  6. ashpire

Markill

Markill, Mar 25, 2009
  7. ashpire

teh_qube

have you ever opened it? done any mods?

teh_qube, Mar 25, 2009
  8. ashpire

Markill

No....
    I've bought it yesterday. Worked fine with Linux....but after installing XP not anymore:(

Markill, Mar 25, 2009
  9. ashpire

teh_qube

well then it most definetily has to be a driver problem..checked the bios for any nessessary changes you have to perhaps make? (i dont know if there is a turn touchpad on in the bios) (what aao did you get the 110 or 150 with the 120gb/160gb?)

also, you said you tried Fn + Fkey right?
    does it happen when you plug in a mouse?
    what does it show on device manager? maybe its detecting something else as your touchpad?
    when you installed the touch pad drivers did you install them on the correct devicE?

teh_qube, Mar 26, 2009
  10. ashpire

ashpire

I have bios 3109, maybe I should upgrade it..

ashpire, Apr 1, 2009
  11. ashpire

ashpire

Now I have upgraded the bios, I'm using the newest now, but the problem still remains. I tested all bios versions, with no luck. Does anyone know a solution?

ashpire, Apr 25, 2009
  12. ashpire

caulktel

I don't think there is anything we can do. I have come to the conclusion that the track pads are defective. I have reloaded my OS using a OEM version of XP Pro and still have the same problem. Then I installed the new Ubuntu 9.04 and I have the problem. Mine is getting worse now also, it locks up everyday instead of once a month as before. I think I will send it back to Acer for repair and hope they don't screw something else in the process. :evil:

caulktel, Apr 29, 2009
  13. ashpire

ihartley

I also have the problem, but can solve it. Navigate to Task Manager (Win32) and look for a process called Syn..... something-or-other. Kill the process and voila. Well for me anyway ;-)

ihartley, Apr 30, 2009
  14. ashpire

caulktel

I did that and it seems to work okay, I just wonder what it does and if it truly fixes the problem how do we disable it permanently.

caulktel, May 3, 2009
  15. ashpire

ihartley

I'm sure there was a "Thank you" hidden somewhere in your post :cool:

The synaptics sw seems to install as the mouse driver. I've noticed that if you remove it completely the "double click" pad tap stops working, but not after it's loaded and killed. Have tried other software with no better results.

Annoying, but I can live with it. Having to reboot I definitely could not live with!

ihartley, May 3, 2009
  16. ashpire

caulktel

Well, "Thank You" for replying :D , but it still didn't solve my problem, my touch pad still locks up causing me to shut down Windows and remove the battery for about five minutes to get it to work again. It appears to be a hardware problem with the touch pad itself. I guess I will have to send it back to Acer, which I really did not want to do. :(

caulktel, May 4, 2009
  17. ashpire

linejnta

I'm, experiencing the same problem.
    Tapping the touchpad does nothing, and the left mouse button does not work.
    The right mouse button is ok for now.
    Tried all the tips kindly submitted by others, but no luck :?
    I'm seriously annoyed by this problem!
    Since there does not seem to be any solution to this problem, I'll probably end up sending it back for a repair.
    Crap..!

If anybody stumbles upon a solution, please post it :)

linejnta, May 7, 2009
  18. ashpire

stou

Same thing here. I bought my Aspire One a month ago and it was working fine. Today the right button of the touchpad stop working. I tried to reboot, removed the battery, it doesn't work.

It work fine with a mouse.

It really look like hardware problem.

stou, May 7, 2009
  19. ashpire

ashpire

For me, it seems to happen a lot less with bios v3309 than it did with 3304-3308, but it still happens. Sometimes it looks like it helps to press Fn+F7 several times, but I'm not sure if it really helps. After that, the scrolling on the right side won't work before I reboot.

I think I will send it back for a repair, it's quite disturbing anyway.

ashpire, May 7, 2009
  20. ashpire

ashpire

I just opened my AAO, and found out that the touchpads ribbon cable is really loose in it's connector. Even if the lock of the connector is pressed down, the cable can't get a connection in all positions. So if the cable is locked to the connector, and I move it a little bit up or down (1-2mm), it can loose its connection, and then the touchpad behaves just as it has done for me! When the touchpad looses its connection to the motherboard, the buttons also don't work, for some reason (even if they are directly on the motherboard).

So, it seems possible that the problem could be only a bad connection to the motherboard. If someone who has had this problem could open their aspire one, and check if moving around a bit with the cable helps to the problem, I would be happy to know if this could be a solution to the problem. Actually only the keyboard needs to be lifted up to get access to the touchpads connector on the mb.
    I bent the cable and the blue plastic part in a little different angle and taped it to the mb, so that the keyboard don't press on the cable when I put it down to its place again, and the touchpad has worked fine since then.

ashpire, May 10, 2009
Ask a Question