Touchpad problem - tapping doesn't work

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Guest, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

A curious problem with my Aspire One touchpad: a gentle touch on it to move the cursor around works perfectly, the left and right click bars work perfectly - but the tapping function produces no result at all.

Possibly linked is this: when I move the cursor around on the desktop it draws a rectangle. On my desktop PC, this happens if I move the cursor with the left button held down, so on the Acer it's as if the touchpad was in a sort of "permanently tapped" state.

What might be wrong? Many thanks for any suggestions.

Guest, Sep 30, 2010
  2. Guest

ZG5Nissan

Assuming you're using windows XP, check for driver updates on windows updated. Be sure to check your touchpad settings too, should be a box to select that says "tap to click" or something to that effect.

ZG5Nissan, Oct 12, 2010
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks for the reply. In fact, I had the opportunity to try a different touchpad and it worked perfectly, so it must be just down to a component failure.

Guest, Oct 12, 2010
  4. Guest

ZG5Nissan

No problem, I had mine do the same. I updated the driver and that's when it wouldn't tap to click either. I looked in the settings and sure enough the "tap to click" check box wasn't selected.

ZG5Nissan, Oct 12, 2010
  5. Guest

Guest Guest

Now you have me wondering! But I didn't change any settings when I fitted the new touchpad, so I suppose it can't be that. In any case, I'm not going to take the Acer apart again to try the old pad once more...

Guest, Oct 12, 2010
  6. Guest

ZG5Nissan

Yeah I didn't change any settings either, it just "magically" happened, lol. Either way if you have a working one now then leave it, if it aint broke don't fix it or if it aint broke don't break it, same difference, lol.

ZG5Nissan, Oct 12, 2010
  7. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks! Good advice.

Guest, Oct 12, 2010
Ask a Question