Touchpad not working after live update

Discussion in 'Linux' started by cbs, Aug 26, 2008.

1. cbs

cbs

I just ran the live update today and installed the network manager update, but after it rebooted, my touchpad isn't working anymore.
    It works during start up, but when it finishishes loading, the touchpad stopped working.

I suspect the update did something to my touchpad package, as I had this happen when I installed a synaptics package.
    Also the touchpad icon disappeared from the settings menu.

I have just fixed the non working touch pad by installing the gsynaptics package and then removing it, but the touchpad settings icon is still missing.

Does anyone know how I can get the touch pad config program back?

cbs, Aug 26, 2008
  2. cbs

Deoki

My touchpad also stoped working after the 08 September Live Update.
    I uninstaled the gsynaptics files and after a reboot I re-installed them again, but this time, they dont seem to work.
    Just like above, the touchpad keeps working during the boot, but stops as soon as the wireless icon kicks in. :(

Can someone help us out?

I am using a mouse, but I use the touchpad quite often! I also lost the touchpad settings icon in the main menu, and dont seem to find the original anywhere.

I will try to install the latest gsynaptics driver, but I'm not a Linux expert, so it might be a dead end.

EDIT: Latest Live Update Network Manager Patch resolves the touchpad issue.

EDIT 2: ...Or not! After a reboot it is broken again.

Deoki, Sep 9, 2008
  3. cbs

philippeC

Same problem here! As soon as the LAN connexion is up, the touchpad is unresponsive. I found a way to get it back: reload the mouse module:

Code:
    sudo rmmod psmouse && sudo modprobe psmouse

I see in another thread that you (Deoki) have applied the "faster suspend" procedure, as I did; I'm looking into it, since it can be a place where the module should be reloaded. But it doesn't explain why the touchpad doesn't work after a cold boot either.

philippeC, Sep 9, 2008
  4. cbs

Deoki

You, kind Sir, have just won 1.000.000.000 internets! I LOVE YOU!

Seriously, I have been monkeying with the definitions and patches since this morning, after I installed the damned Live Update.

Sure, I have been using the "Faster Suspend" procedure, but my touchpad just dies even if I dont use the said procedure.

I think Linpus just loads the wlan module and then totaly ignores the remaining instructions. I dunno, I'm not an expert, so I might be wrong, but after 12~14hours wondering what might have happen, no wonder our brain starts making some weird assumptions.

With your tip, I can now use the touchpad, but it's a temporary fix. I hope this thing gets fixed once and for all.

Deoki, Sep 10, 2008
  5. cbs

N6546R

A data point, I am not using the Faster Suspend mods and have the same problem with the touchpad after updating to Xorg 1.3.

Perry
    www.kidpub.com

N6546R, Sep 17, 2008
  6. cbs

hasfrochbuster

I have two Aspire ones, both of them suffered a touchpad failure after different update/software install events.

The point is that I was able to fix them, unintalling and then reinstalling the gsynaptics package.

This package control the touchpad.

I hope this help you guys.

hasfrochbuster, Sep 18, 2008
  7. cbs

tailknot

My touchpad is still not working after removal and re-installations of both gsynaptics and synaptics modules... Trying to reload the mouse module using the instructions above from terminal didn't work either. Anyone has suggestions? Help! :?

tailknot, Sep 19, 2008
  8. cbs

mjgalan

As an interim solution you can try:

Alt+F2
    sudo mousepad /etc/X11/xorg.conf

look for the line
    Option "SHMConfig" "on"
    and change it to
    #Option "SHMConfig" "on"

save file and reboot. (this will disable gsynaptics)

Revert that change when you want.

It Works For Me.

mjgalan, Sep 22, 2008
  9. cbs

tailknot

Thanks for your help. Seems to be working fine now :)

tailknot, Sep 23, 2008
  10. cbs

nam_nas

hello guys I had the same problem with recent live update.. since I am not a linux guru, I read some of your comments .. I tried some but they did not work completely, however here is what I did and worked perfectly
    1.I opend the Add/ remove panel and searched for gsynaptics in the installed packages and uninstalled it.
    2. I searched again for the same file (gsynaptics)... it showed 2 versions of (ksynaptics) instead, I installed the latest version.
    3. I rebooted the computer....

now everything is back again to normal....easy

nam_nas, Apr 16, 2009
Ask a Question