Too big for a netbook

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by adrianaitken, Mar 26, 2009.

1. adrianaitken

adrianaitken

My Lenovo/Thinkpad X61 is 12" and is called a laptop. Seems to be a laptop by any other name. What next, inbuilt DVD/blu-ray to watch the HiDef videos from ?
    Also, I don't see how Acer will get around Microsoft's XP-on-netbook limitations of 1024x600 pixels so either it'll be LInux only or will have WIndows 7 (dread to think Vista).

adrianaitken, Mar 26, 2009
  2. adrianaitken

GvidoR

Exactly! How can you call that a netbook? It's a small laptop. 10" was questionable for me but this... too big! These small machines are losing the purpose of a netbook! 512MB/8GB/8.9" A110 is the perfect example of what a netbook is/should be.

GvidoR, Mar 26, 2009
  3. adrianaitken

ssmitty85

not to mention the processor is still a 1.6, but at least they are finally puttin a diff chipset in. and it better come with a dvd drive for being that big. if not its stupid.

ssmitty85, Mar 26, 2009
  4. adrianaitken

GvidoR

Hmm.. yes but it's going to come with Intel Atom Z530. What's the point of having to Atom's with identical specs? :?

GvidoR, Mar 27, 2009
  5. adrianaitken

goofball

They're not identical.

goofball, Mar 28, 2009
  6. adrianaitken

Plastikman

i.. uhhh.. umm... why?!?!?

This is sort of defeating the poupose of a netbook now. This thing needs a new title like "portableHDentertainmentbook".

Acer has full sized 15" laptops with N270 and the Z530 already. are we sure this is not a mini laptop that was reported wrong?

I'll toss my additional 2cents in later when we actually see this thing. in the meantime. I'll stick to my 10" vs 8.6" debates.

Plastikman, Mar 28, 2009
  7. adrianaitken

Xenophon

I agree. I'd rather see more packed into the A150 format than a larger screen. I want the small form factor, which is very portable in a back pack and under car seat. The A150 format is perfect for eating at the counter of a diner, etc. It's the right sized netbook form factor.

Would like to see A150 format with slightly larger 1024x768 screen that takes up more of the real estate of the screen casing (same physical size of casing), that is, less plastic border but enough room for web cam above.

Needs new Atom chipset to allow 4GB, better gaming graphics and maybe true dual core (a bit faster Atom OK) and I'd be willing to pay up to $500 for it. I'd be willing to pay an extra $100 for a netbook that size that also has HDMI output. Maybe in another year or two.

Acer needs a series of A150 netbooks that range in features at various prices, not form factors of larger sizes.

Xenophon, Mar 28, 2009
  8. adrianaitken

goofball

You're asking for quite a bit. Let's start with the 1024x768 screen. That's 4:3 ratio, not like the widescreen format that is on the netbooks now. That would entail a different physical layout for the lid and a smaller screen overall. Since you're asking for less plastic, that would mean a very tight keyboard layout, presumably with narrower keys. That's the only way to have a true 4:3 aspect screen without plastic, it would mean a design change to the chassis, and not really for the bettter. The only advantage (chassis-wise) would be that there would be room for hot-keys (like Asus EEE) and a good size touchpad (though perhaps only vertically and not horizontally?). Maybe they could do away with the touchpad and use the trackpoint like Lenovo?

4GB? And how much would be usable? You think that they would give 64bit support for these devices? Also, how much are 4GB SODIMM's? Hardly affordable for these devices. And no, I don't see that giving 2 DIMM slots will happen either.

OEM's like Acer need actual choices from hardware manufacturers to be able to give us these choices. What alternatives really exist in this market, other than the Atom? VIA? Have you seen the additional power draw on their platform? And they dont' have a dual core (or even a semblance of an HT-style CPU), so completely single threaded.

If you think of putting in a ULV CPU/MB into a netbook, then you're going to be way out of price range of what these are supposed to be at. Granted, I think they are too expensive as they are so making them more just isn't a good idea.

goofball, Mar 29, 2009
  9. adrianaitken

ssmitty85

How much better can a processor be if it has the same specs and speed.???

ssmitty85, Mar 29, 2009
  10. adrianaitken

rory

With the screen, rather than 1024x768, do 1280x800, then it will be the same ratio.
    Ram, have 2gb soldered and a slot, problem solved with exactly the same setup as now.
    The nano is not actually that bad, and if it gets partnered with the ion i would have it over an atom/gma950 setup.

good points though, but all can be solved

rory, Mar 29, 2009
  11. adrianaitken

goofball

The Z has slightly lower power consumption (2w vs 2.5w), has intel VT (limited use for some), but also comes with a chipset that has video acceleration, though only supports 1GB ram. The chipset itself is also lower in power consumption vs the antiquated design of the 945GSE (4.3w vs 11w) so that's a good power saving there.

The N does not have a chipset with video acceleration that is released as of yet for actual sale. It does allow 2GB ram however.

It's not just about the processor, it's also about the platform as a whole.

goofball, Mar 29, 2009
  12. adrianaitken

goofball

Agreed, that the widescreen format is better, and 1280x800 or even 1280x720 would be better.
    The chipset needs to support more than 2GB, and for a netbook, that's probably not going to happen soon. Who knows, and i would be happy to be wrong. The other limiting part is the Atom processor is a 32bit processor so it can't address 4GB ram anyways. You need the desktop Atom to do this, the Z series also does not do 64bit.

Is there a point to having 4GB ram if the processor is so slow, that the ram is not really the limiter on performance? Anything that really would use more than 2GB ram will surely be so slow on a Nano, that it is not worth attempting to run on the Nano (other than Vista, i guess)?

My other issue with the nano is the power consumption. Given the TDP of 8w, you can bet it should draw at least 2-3x the power of the Atom. Might not sound like much but every little bit counts, imo. That also means bigger/bulkier cooling system (also potentially louder), which also might mean a thicker/heavier netbook. All of which can take it out of the netbook arena (as if the 11.6" screen isn't enough to do that).

goofball, Mar 29, 2009
  13. adrianaitken

Xenophon

^Good points. I should have said the screen should be 'at least' 1024x768 but maintain the 16:9 ratio. But it should be in the same space as the A150 form factor. If you look at the current model, there's a lot of extra plastic border space, room for bigger screen - but need to leave enough for web cam.

On 4GB, I personally want it for VMWare. I'm already doing VMWare today with 1.5GB but it's a very tight squeeze for just running one instance. I agree though that most don't need 4GB. Would be nice if the chipset allowed for it though.

My wish list for the A150 form factor in order...
    - Larger screen that takes up more of the plastic border area (w/at least 1024/768 resolution)
    - Chipset capable of 4GB (for VMWare users like me)
    - GPU fast enough to play HL2 engine games (even if at low resolution)
    - Faster CPU always a bonus if at same price point and same or lower power usage
    - Move SD/flash card readers to the side of the screen
    - Add ExpressCard slot in place of current memory card slot.
    - HDMI out (would be willing to pay an extra $100) instead of VGA out

I'd be willing to pay $450-$550 for all/most of these feature in the same form factor as the A150.

Xenophon, Mar 29, 2009
  14. adrianaitken

goofball

I understand, but I think that the point of the netbook is starting to be lost. Functionality-wise, these weren't meant for people running virtual machines, or to play games. They downlocked the GMA950 (which is a bad video chipset to begin with) to save power.

I'm fine with 10.1", i'd prefer a higher resolution screen over a physically larger one.

Again, 4GB isn't going to happen until they move to a 64bit Atom N/Z series (which would entail a whole new licensing scheme, I would imagine, for 64bit OS and add $$$).

I don't know about where you are but the current 10.1" Acer without all those things you mention, is already $450 here (CAN). To add all those things, would jack the price up probably north of $650-700. I can't see them making much sales for that price. We'll have to see what the 11.6" screen does for pricing.

I do like the new keyboard on the 11.6" version, it is a beauty.

goofball, Mar 29, 2009
  15. adrianaitken

Xenophon

I hear ya, netbooks are to be compacts in the $300 area. I'd rather see supernetbooks in the A150 size than larger netbooks, which are longer netbooks IMO. I'd like to see basic netbooks continue at sub-$300 with hyper _options_ for more $$$. It's probably just another year away to get what I ask for well under $500, maybe even under $400.

Xenophon, Mar 29, 2009
  16. adrianaitken

ssmitty85

I understand it has a new chipset, thats not what im talking about, and the power consumption thing. great. but why not put a 2.0 processor in, if your trying to sell a new processor with the same speed....

ssmitty85, Mar 29, 2009
  17. adrianaitken

goofball

Would help if there was one readily available (announced is not the same as immediately available).

Maybe if people stopped buying it with subpar parts, they may be more enticed to actually sell it with better? Also, no pricing yet on the new 2Ghz Z cpu's so who knows what premium they may command? It's probable the 1366x768 screen is going to increase the price north of $500, how much more really are people willing to pay for an underperforming, identity-crisised laptop?

goofball, Mar 30, 2009
  18. adrianaitken

ssmitty85

exactly.. especially one thats almost 12in and doesnt even have a dvd drive... lol

ssmitty85, Mar 30, 2009
  19. adrianaitken

TownieBoy

I disagee that this 11.6" is too big for a netbook. First, lets look at the dimensions of the 3 netbooks we are talking about:

AOA 150 (8.9") 249 mm x 170 mm x 29 mm
    AOD 150 (10.1") 260 mm x 185 mm x 33 mm
    751 (11.6") 284 mm x 198 mm x 26 mm

When you do the math, you get the following volumes:

8.9" 1228 cc
    10.1" 1587 cc
    11.6" 1462 cc

As every backpacker knows, it is the volume that counts when you are trying to fit as much into a bag as possible. The 11.6 incher will have no problem fitting into a backpack, as it is about the size of a paper notebook, and very thin to boot. with only a few mm bigger in length and width, I'm sure it will be just as portable as other netbooks.

When I started looking into netbooks, I thought about getting the 8.9, so I tried one out at the store. The thing I didn't like about it was the tiny screen that I had to squint at or get my face uncomfortably close to see some of the text. The 10.1 is a slight improvement, but still not good enough for my old eyes.

With a 1366 x 768 screen, your text will be large enough to read comfortably. And your web pages will fit on the screen without having to scroll all over the place. Viewing photos and videos will be better for the same reason.

What I will be interested to see, is how well this new netbook, with a new graphics chipset, can handle video. I've already tried microsoft's tv video files (recorded with my home computer from cable tv) on the 8.9 incher, and they work fine. Appears to be no skipped frames. I also would like to try 720p wmv vids from my camcorder. Has anyone tried this?

Until now, the laptop market stopped at 12 inches, with a step up being 13.3 inches. But those 12 inchers are usually meant for execs, with a $1100 price tag to suit. Getting an 11.6" at around $500 would be a bargain. I think Acer did their homework on this one. At this point, it looks like a winner to me.

TownieBoy, Apr 11, 2009
  20. adrianaitken

OReilly

I like it! If it gets the faster processor in the future and is under $500, I'll purchase one...

OReilly, Apr 11, 2009
Ask a Question