Tip: For the Glued down screws.

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by corkie, Sep 23, 2008.

1. corkie

corkie

Heat the tip of screwdriver with a lighter or in candle flame. Should make it allot easier to open the screws under the battery.

corkie, Sep 23, 2008
  2. corkie

donec

None of the screws were glued down on my AA1. If you get the screw too hot it may damage the post the screw fits into.

donec, Sep 24, 2008
  3. corkie

hotJay

uf i know what you talkin, i have 2 hours problem with last scr. on wifi module, i heat screwdriver, even cut plastic with knife but at the
    end i finallly menage to resolve problem with that, but my nervs are not in good condition :roll:

hotJay, Oct 14, 2008
  4. corkie

FireSoul

hey THE LAST SCREW SCREWED MY LIFE

i tried to open it for the last 40 minutes

now the edges are melt down i can't lock the screw driver in it any more

please help me is there a way ??

FireSoul, Dec 22, 2008
  5. corkie

donec

The only thing I can think of is to use a drill and drill the head of the screw until the head comes off. Try not to drill very deep because if you do it correctly then you have a chance of removing the screw with pliers or carefully with wire cutters once the cover is off since there should be a small & I mean small portion of the screw sticking up. Otherwise you will either need to just not place a screw in that spot or completely drill out that screw and replace it with a larger one.

donec, Dec 22, 2008
  6. corkie

FireSoul

mmm well i am not good at moding laptops actually this is my first time to open a laptop ( oh god i love DESKTOPS .. there is space for everything ) ... mmm thanks for the idea i kinda lost hope

well this is the screw ( the one with the red Square around )

[​IMG]

is there anthing important around it ? or below it ?

once again thanks for your fast answer

FireSoul, Dec 22, 2008
  7. corkie

donec

FireSoul, be very very careful with that screw. I am not sure of what is around there but I do know that it is the motherboard and thus if it is damaged you will probably have just a piece of junk left. I would advise you to take it to a professional and have it removed and request a guarantee against damage.

donec, Dec 23, 2008
  8. corkie

FireSoul

yeah yeah i know , .... sorry but now i am officially calling this screw the SOB , ..... thanks for your help gonna give some try on Thursday ... i trust some ones skills more than a pro :|

gonna update you :D

FireSoul, Dec 23, 2008
  9. corkie

overthis

The SOB screw for me was the top right screw of the board on the right which was preventing my access to the SSD. I tried to cut a notch in the screw with my dremel, but my "notch" ended up too wide and rather useless. In the end, I just continued with the dremel and grinded away at the head of the screw. I nicked the board a few times near the head, but no harm was done luckily.

After the fact, I was wondering if the SSD conversion was even going to be worth the possible damage. Although I have yet to get my CF card working there, at least the laptop is still functioning.

overthis, Dec 23, 2008
  10. corkie

FireSoul

donec thanks for the TIP

worked like a magic i was really scared but now i am typing this from my aspire one with 1.5 GB ram thanks to you :D

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah it felt so nice kicking it's damn head it was worth it

and it went smoothly :D

FireSoul, Dec 25, 2008
  11. corkie

Chef Borjan

Haha. I had LOTS of trouble with the last screw on the battery cover. I realised I was wearing the head away and getting desperate.. So I very slowly and patiently cut away the plastic, until the casing was free. I was lucky, since this problem screw came up in a relatively simple area.

Still, not that chuffed on it, its going to hurt the resale value a little when Ion netbooks come out... :( Plus any hope of returning the One back to stock and using the warranty if needed has now TOTALLY gone out the window... :D

Chef Borjan, Jan 18, 2009
Ask a Question