tinyXP on 8gb SSD acer one model

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by menappi, Sep 30, 2008.

1. menappi

menappi

Ok i'm sorry if this topic has been beaten to death or anything , but i can't find an answer after searching the forums. Basically I got the 8gb SSD model with Linpus on it and I thought it would be cool to have linux since iver never used it and i'm realizing that i don't want to invest a lot of time learning this os and figuring out how to do things. So i want to try to put a stripped down version of windows on my ONE, something that runs smooth with basic features. Is this possible with my version of the ONE? Would tinyxp work well? I am using this fine little machine for web browsing, internet and some basic word processing. Could someone point me in the right direction? Cheers

menappi, Sep 30, 2008
  2. menappi

kevin

It _has_ been beated to death. The consensus seems to be that no Windows version will work very well on the 8Gb SSD, because it's too disk-intensive for the relatively slow SSD.

And TinyXP is some yucky pirated thing, isn't it? So you'd need to have a hot shower after handling it.

kevin, Sep 30, 2008
  3. menappi

menappi

So then how do i make this version of linus similar to windows, with a normal desktop and stuff? Is it more work then it's worth?

menappi, Sep 30, 2008
  4. menappi

kevin

Probably. It's hard for me to say because I use Linux and other Unix systems all day, every day, in my work. I like the way the Linpus unit works, and I like it even more with my tweaks. I certainly wouldn't try to make a Windows machine behave just like a Linux one -- I'd either buy/install Linux or learn how to use Windows properly. I image it's the same coming at the problem from the other side.

kevin, Sep 30, 2008
  5. menappi

2manydjs

My experience with the faster samsung SSD is that XP can run very well, stable and quick.
    As Kevin said; there are plenty threads covering this subject.

Or you might be interested in this thread. It has a script which turns your Acer "kiddie" XFCE environment in a more flexible and mature XFCE environment.

2manydjs, Sep 30, 2008
  6. menappi

Grim Squeaker

Alternatively you can look at this script: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1612

Which allows you to switch between the two interfaces. Latest live updates however seem to have broken the Acer interface for people who installed this.

Grim Squeaker, Oct 1, 2008
  7. menappi

Gleth

Standard winxp with the tweak on the forums works well enough to play wow fairly smoothly... I'd still say linpus was way better tho

Gleth, Oct 1, 2008
Ask a Question