Thunderbird / Sky Email problems

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by Plastikman80, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Plastikman80

Plastikman80

Hi,

Picked up my acer aspire yesterday.

I've been tweaking it to get it set up the way I want.

So far I've sorted out the desktop, installed Skype, VLC, Firefox 3.

I'm trying to install Thunderbird and use it with a Sky email address, but I'm having no joy. I've set up my account and made sure the SSL is sorted and the pop is enabled on my email account.

I cant send/receive any emails as I get connection timed out error on pop.tools.sky.com and then when I try to click on the "get mail" icon
    nothing happens. Also the email program that came pre installed won't even open when I click on it.

Any suggestions.

Thanks

Plastikman80, Apr 9, 2009
  2. Plastikman80

Aspiration

how did you install vlc? I followed the same directions and it doesn't install. If you look closely at the instructions, the window shows sudo yum nano something and the instructions say to use vlc instead of nano. You can't trust what other people write because many of them write pretending to know what they are talking about with the result that things gets screwed up and the person writing the article can't explain anything.

Why, for instance, wouldn't the writer catch the mistake of showing install commands for two completely different programs?

Eventually I installed VLC from instructions at the macles website. Macles is the code name for the aspire one in case you didn't know. However, no mention is made of the fact that VLC ruins any chance of playing DVDs if you follow the instructions to the letter. I also read that only free codecs are provided in VLC so why bother with installing it? With the upgrades to Linpus Lite, Acer has closed the gap somewhat with not supporting enough codecs. So I'm sticking with the default media players so that I can still watch DVDs.

Aspiration, Apr 11, 2009
Ask a Question