Thunar - Mount to NAS drive with null password

Discussion in 'Linux' started by hgt, Jan 25, 2009.

1. hgt

hgt

Dear all, I have a Freecom NAS drive which I want to map to from within Linpus. The Freecom NAS drive has a built in Samba server, however it uses the Fat32 file system and has no share security whatsoever. So for example when I connect from Windows I simply connect to something like \\10.0.0.1\Public and I get straight on without specifying either a user name nor password.

I want to do something similar from within Linpus. Now I understand that Thunar doesn't natively mount network drives so I need to set a mount point. So I have created an empty folder and I'm trying to use CIFS to make a temporary mount, however it does not seem to like the fact that my NAS drive uses a null password.

If I use a command such as...

sudo mount -t cifs //10.0.0.1/public NAS

I then get prompted for a password, I just hit [enter] as I don't have one. Then I get an error of ' mount error 20 = Not a directory.

By the way 'NAS' is the name of my empty folder and I'm running my terminal session from the correct folder. I can map up to a normal Windows XP share perfectly fine with this method, but the NAS drive just refuses to mount. Does anybody know how to get around this problem at all? Many thanks.

hgt, Jan 25, 2009
  2. hgt

amturnip

3. hgt

hgt

That did indeed work a treat, thank you very much :)

hgt, Jan 26, 2009
Ask a Question