Thumbs-up for Ubunutu Eee Netbook Remix

Discussion in 'Asus Eee PC' started by AndiTails, Oct 4, 2008.

1. AndiTails

AndiTails

Hi all,

Some threads floating around about whether the try the Netbook version or not, go full Ubunutu, stick to Linpus...

Well, I've done all 3, plus Windows 2003 (eXPerience Micro2003) - and have to say that Ubuntu Eee 8.04.1 Netbook Remix wins hands-down.

Out of the box, all hardware works.
    Doesn't 'hang' on accessing the SSD (problem in Windows)
    WiFi works! Though currently no activity LED (even with the tweak) and haven't tried the kill-switch.
    Hibernate works! Standby doesn't. Comes out of Hibernate in about 20 seconds. Boot up is about 45-60 seconds (seems to vary).
    Even the battery seems to last a long time in comparison to under Windows & Linpus.
    I really like the Netbook Remix interface. Perfect for the small screen.

And because its full Ubuntu/Linux I can install things like Dropbox and Citrix ICA client easily (managed to get Citrix on Linpus, but failed with Dropbox!).

Love it... :)

One question though - does anyone know if the Eee version installs the Diamondville addons by default?
    If not, I guess I should add that for some more kernel speed..

AndiTails, Oct 4, 2008
  2. AndiTails

RockDoctor

Ok, I hate to be picky, but:
    1. SD card readers work even when no SD cards present at boot?
    2. xD card reader (right-hand card reader slot)?

RockDoctor, Oct 4, 2008
  3. AndiTails

AndiTails

Ok true, maybe not 100% tested.. ;)
    I always leave an 8gb SD in the left hand slot anyway!

I will test and let you know.
    (Though, I'm guessing not from your comments and the Ubuntu Wiki)

AndiTails, Oct 4, 2008
  4. AndiTails

AndiTails

FUrther tweaks - I did install it as ext3 so just converted it to ext2 to disable journalling and now it seems Suspend and Hibernate work perfectly...
    When coming out of it, the notification pops up saying Suspend or Hibernation failed.. but it didn't :)
    Was on 60% power when I suspended it last night, and this morning, was on about 35% - so I'd say that's about right for being under Suspend...
    I tend to use Hibernate where I can. But it does come out of Suspend in <5 seconds which is good!

Done the other Ubuntu tweaks for the SSD too, which seemed to have helped boot times.
    Haven't tested the xD slot still, sorry, but we actually have never used it, and probably never will..!

Its good to be free from the shakles of Linpus, and the slowness of Windows!
    Here's hoping 8.10 is even better...

AndiTails, Oct 5, 2008
  5. AndiTails

Arcflup

I've been running this off a usb key and it looks good but I don't wish to install it to hdd. Is it possible to have my customisations save back to the usb key? How?

Arcflup, Oct 5, 2008
  6. AndiTails

AndiTails

Yes, you can - requires a little fiddling, and 2 USB keys, but certainly possible...
    This guide should help you. Just remember the CD is actually one of your USB keys and use the EEE iso, not the normal Ubuntu... The rest should work!

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2008/05/08 ... e-live-cd/

AndiTails, Oct 5, 2008
  7. AndiTails

Joeb

I, too, have installed the Ubuntu eee and I am very pleased with it. I did go back and apply the tweaks from the official guide on the Ubuntu site. This did fix the wireless indicator, but unfortunately the card reader still only works if the card is in there at boot up.

All in all, the Apsire One seems much more responsive and appears to last longer on battery. I should add that I am running the stock 8gb ssd but I have upgraded RAM to 1gb and still have a swap file.

Joeb, Oct 5, 2008
  8. AndiTails

clairvaux

Did you guys remember to install ext2 file system instead of 3, and also disable the ubuntu indexing feature to negate SSD wear? The latter, I don't think, is covered in the ubuntu guide.

clairvaux, Oct 5, 2008
  9. AndiTails

AndiTails

I did forget re. journalling, but converted shortly after (as I mentioned above).
    And it seems, for at least my install was setup so, the indexing was already disabled in the Ubuntu Eee I installed.

Nothing wrong with a good old skool updatedb and locate ;)

AndiTails, Oct 5, 2008
  10. AndiTails

J.A

I made the switch from Linpus to Ubuntu eee and I am loving it! I went through and added the tweaks that I found here and on the Ubuntu eee website.

1 question tho:
    how do I go about switching from ext3 to ext2 once the OS is installed? I looked around for a walk thorugh on it but cannot find one. Anyone have a link for it?

J.A, Oct 7, 2008
  11. AndiTails

AndiTails

Boot from the USB Ubuntu Eee Live you originally created, then pull up the terminal.

You'll need to find the naming of the SSD on the computer. I'm pretty sure the USB was /hdb and the SSD was /hda when I did it. Use
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    to check.

Then:
    Code:
    umount /dev/hda5
    to unmount the SSD ext3 partition (assuming its that - you'll have checked it above).

Code:
    tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/hda5
    will remove the journalling flag from the filesystem, effectively converting it from ext3 to ext2.

Code:
    e2fsck -y /dev/hda5
    will check that we don't have any errors on the disk.

Next we need to mount the disk and remove the actual journal (as its no longer needed), so:
    Code:
    mkdir /ssd
    mount -t ext2 /dev/hda5 /ssd
    cd /ssd
    rm -f .journal
    Lastly, we need to change fstab, else Ubuntu Eee won't boot.
    Code:
    gedit /ssd/etc/fstab
    Find the bit where it says ext3 and change it to ext2.

Reboot, and you should be done. :mrgreen:

Taken from http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/how-to-con ... le-system/

AndiTails, Oct 7, 2008
  12. AndiTails

popcycleken

I tried this from USB last night, and agree it is far superior to Linpus. However, there is a deal-killer for me; neither mic is working. Skype is an important reason for having the AAO, so the microphone is important. No one else seems to have this problem? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ken

popcycleken, Oct 7, 2008
  13. AndiTails

J.A

@ AndiTails:

Thank you very much for the info!!!
    Just converted to ext2 and everything seems to be running fine.

Now to finish tweaking Ubuntu eee. :D

J.A, Oct 7, 2008
  14. AndiTails

lusephur

gave this a try and yes things seem to work out of the box (well, as out of the box as ubuntu gets, codecs still need to be added, but that's a trivial matter really)
    haven't had a chance to fully test the install on my AAO150, but wifi, sound (although i haven't used the mic but i never have used one either) and webcam work, i rarely use suspend or hibernate so they aren't high on my priority list.

cheers for the head up.

lusephur, Oct 7, 2008
  15. AndiTails

madwoolything

I too am interested to know how to get the microphone working before I make the switch as I too wish to make full use of Skype ..... ideas??

madwoolything, Oct 10, 2008
  16. AndiTails

madwoolything

Is it just the internal microphone or can I get an external one working somehow??

madwoolything, Oct 10, 2008
  17. AndiTails

stayfrosty

I have installed this so far and love it, but I could use some help. I want to use my 8gig SD card as my /home but everytime i try to change it, it doesn't work and i can't log in (thus forcing me to log into terminal and change it back). Can anyone help me with the path that i need. I are a relatively new to linux but have picked up a lot very quickly. Thanks

Sean

stayfrosty, Oct 10, 2008
  18. AndiTails

jango

Ubuntu eee is similar to Ubuntu Remix???

jango, Oct 11, 2008
  19. AndiTails

edgecrush3r

When installing Ubuntuu Netbook Remix i can strongly advise using the eeeBuntu version.
    This has already been strongly optimized and everything works even straight from LivUSB.
    There is even a special Unetbootin which will ease the whole proces.

i've tried dozens of distro's on my One, and this has been the greatest hardware supporting distro sofar.

Check it out: http://www.eeebuntu.org/

Cheers,
    Tony

edgecrush3r, Oct 11, 2008
  20. AndiTails

hombrelobo

hombrelobo, Oct 11, 2008
Ask a Question