Thinkpad X250 or Carbon X1?

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by kennyabcd2011, Oct 21, 2015.

1. kennyabcd2011

kennyabcd2011

The specification here in my country is

X250 - i5-5200 ; 4GB RAM ; 12.5" IPS FHD screen; 1T 5400 HDD; 3 internal+3 external dual cell
    Carbon X1 - i5-5200 ; 8GB RAM ; 14" IPS FHD screen ; 128GB SSD ; Integrated Li Polymer 8 cells with Rapidcharge.

Difference in price approx. = USD 300

What I will do with my laptop: Using most of the time outside in crowed fast food shops , starbucks, construction sites; bus; .etc...downloading files and uploading files to and from the cloud storage, simple web browsing for the rest of the time. No any high-end resources-demanding applications will be used or gaming

Since the laptop will be brought around during it's ON or SLEEP- My concern is if it will make the mechanical drive very vulnerable. And if the SSD choice will be much more durable?? Or if they are practically the same because both models are claimed to pass through many military tests?

I tend to buy the less expensive model with 1T 5400 HDD drive, but I have not decided yet, do you know if military design could also protect the drive in any way?

kennyabcd2011, Oct 21, 2015
  2. kennyabcd2011

Brian8gbSSDLinux

Ho Ho Ho... just answered your other query about Batteries...

Your requirement...
    Using most of the time outside in crowed fast food shops , starbucks, construction sites; bus; .etc...downloading files and uploading files to and from the cloud storage, simple web browsing for the rest of the time. No high-end resources-demanding applications will be used or gaming

How about the HP Stream built for the On-the-go Guy ?

11" or 13" screen, built in battery 32Gb SSD so no worries about Bumps and thumps
    13" version Intel Celeron CPU almost instant On - using Hybrid Sleep. Lightweight and the kicker - $180 ish
    Or you could go for the $229 version, with MS Office FREE for 1 Year (the spec is EXACTLY the same - so - that MS Office, doesn't look 'FREE' to me)...

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Oct 22, 2015
  3. kennyabcd2011

kennyabcd2011

Hi, a couple of things

1. Only Lenovo or Dell has special and limited sales offer here. I don't quote the price here, the price is awesome for x250 and "a bit" awesome for the New Carbon x1. There is no sales for HP

2. I have personal infinity towards Thinkpad, and against other brands like HP or Acer. I think Thinkpad has a better build quality among the others.

3. I think 12.5" Mon, together with 4GB RAM is sufficient for my purpose in X250. But my only concerns is if the mechanical hard drive with 5400rpm is a bad deal, resulting in a lagged and unhappy experience opening lots of browser tabs and possibly a failed hard drive later on.

Spending USD 300 more will get a 14" FHD mon instead of 12.5" FHD mon; 8GB RAM instead of 4GB; 128SSD instead of 1000GB 5400rpm

Does it worth

kennyabcd2011, Oct 22, 2015
  4. kennyabcd2011

Brian8gbSSDLinux

To save SOME of that extra 300 dollars you can use an Hybrid drive like this...

500GB Toshiba MQ02ABF050H Hybrid SSHD SATA III 2.5", 5400RPM, 9.5mm 32MB Cache 8GB SSHD

SSHD being Solid State Hybrid Drive
    this one sells for £50 in the UK - I'd guess it would be around 50 dollars in the States

Blurb...
    Toshiba’s SSHD products feature self-learning algorithms that enable the drive to identify the user’s access patterns, allowing frequently used data to be stored in the NAND cache part of the drive making it quickly accessible to the host.
    Likewise, data that is used less often is moved from the NAND Flash to the HDD for long term storage - providing fast performance and file responsiveness while utilizing the high storage capacities supported by the underlying HDD.

I'm using one in this HP Elitebook and it seems MUCH faster than a 'normal' HDD

Hope that is helpful...

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Oct 24, 2015
Ask a Question