The 10" acer with integrated 3g?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Kimpeh, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Kimpeh

Kimpeh

Kimpeh, Mar 17, 2009
  2. Kimpeh

Kimpeh

Bump :roll:

Kimpeh, Mar 18, 2009
  3. Kimpeh

Epedemic

I can confirm it is availible in Denmark from the carrier "3" including 6 months "up to 7.2mbit/20GB" subscription for roughly 500€ total cost over 6 months.

It is my first netbook, and i love it. The modem (GTM380) kicks ass... Beats my "old" Huawei E180 usb stick with 400kbps every time, averaging 4mbit almost everywhere, and bursting up to 6.5mbit :D

It is also "modded" with 2GB kingston ram, 4gb SDHC for readyboost and Windows 7 7068, which runs a lot better than i expected it :D

Epedemic, Mar 30, 2009
  4. Kimpeh

Kimpeh

Nice nice, good to hear. :D
    I just saw that it is out in sweden too, but only with the 3 cell battery. Did you buy the 6-cell one?.

Kimpeh, Apr 1, 2009
  5. Kimpeh

kdskamal

In few Asian countries, they are selling with wimax built in. Not sure about 3G though

kdskamal, Apr 2, 2009
  6. Kimpeh

nightalon

I plan on soldering a SIM slot into the US version and adding a nice 3G card; the Option GTM 378 is $62 on eBay, supports voice, GPS, and HSDPA up to 7.2 Mbps. There are other models that have HSUPA, but they run around $150. If my SIM slot installation goes wrong, I can just use a MiniPCI-E card with a built in SIM slot like the one on mobilx.hu. (Novatel Wireless Expedite line) Sadly it's about $145 once you do the conversion. It also doesn't sport GPS and voice.

Other options include Sierra Wireless and Ericsson models.

"tnkgrl" did this on her blog with the 8.9" model, so I'm hoping the procedure is very similar. She also had to install a MiniPCI-E connector, which I'm too scared to do, and also why I bought this model! (it has 2 functional miniPCI-E slots out of the box...)

nightalon, Apr 10, 2009
  7. Kimpeh

adrianaitken

how do you find the 2nd mini-pci e slot ? Mine has only one slot under a cover on the bottom, is the 2nd one inside the casing ? Also, how do you open the casing, is it like the 8.9 i.e. flip out the keyboard and undo any screws seen ?

adrianaitken, Apr 10, 2009
  8. Kimpeh

adrianaitken

well, following the link provided by tolui, I opened my 10", pulled my network card and put it in the 2nd slot (just behind the wifi switch under the palm rest). Rebuilt it and switched on. No network card :cry: :cry: Looks like a jumper will have to be wired in same as tnkgrl had to do on the 8.9" one. The SIM card slot is behind the battery pack and has the same pins waiting to be soldered....

adrianaitken, Apr 10, 2009
  9. Kimpeh

nightalon

That may be true.

Is that in addition to the fact that the wireless switch is two-way? Would taping one pin help?

nightalon, Apr 23, 2009
  10. Kimpeh

adrianaitken

the switch, and taping pin 20, only affects the antenna, not any card plugged in. Switching off the antenna is needed for going on airplanes,in hospitals etc. It doesn't switch the card on/off.

adrianaitken, Apr 23, 2009
  11. Kimpeh

jerryt

Pin 20 on the A150 does not allow the card to show in the device manager, can not load software until either the WiFi switch moves left or pin 20 is taped.

jerryt, Apr 23, 2009
  12. Kimpeh

adrianaitken

well, tried it again. Even moving the slide switch all the way to the left does nothing. There must be a jumper than needs installing/soldering in. Trouble is I can't see anything obvious. Can someone who has a 3G model load a hires picture of the motherboard near the bottom right hand side (where the mini-PCIe slot is) ?

A big problem with the 10" is that the power switch is on the top half and needs to be plugged in to switch it on whereas the 8.9" had a push button on the motherboard so could be switched on 'naked' so to speak.

adrianaitken, Apr 24, 2009
  13. Kimpeh

jerryt

In order for a 3G card to show in the device manager it must have;
    3.3 volts on pins 2, 52.
    Ground on pins 4, 9, 15, 18, 21, 26, 27, 29, 34, 35, 40, and 50.
    1.5 volts on pins 6, 28, and 48.
    D+ on pin 38.
    D- on pin 36.
    and pin 20 taped or enabled in software.

Power and grounds are easy to check with a multimeter. Check resistence between D+ and D- (Machine off) and you can determine if the circuit is open. Tape pin 20 to test.

If someone wants to send me their D150.
    For FREE I will determine how to enable the 3G and install a Sim Reader on the motherboard. Test that everything works and ship back. PM me if anyone is interested.

jerryt, Apr 24, 2009
Ask a Question