Tearing into it tomorrow....any advice, warnings?

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by jpgirl, Feb 5, 2009.

1. jpgirl

jpgirl

So I am tearing into my One tomorrow as soon as my touchscreen gets here.
    I have been collecting parts for a few weeks now so that I can put them all in at once.
    I have read tons of threads, watched some youtube vids and just wanted a last minute advice thread to warn about things I/you might not have anticipated or thought of or problems you ran into while doing upgrades.

I have the ssd model with 1gb ram and will be doing the following upgrades:

- fidohub- solderless touchscreen
    - upgrade from 1gb to 1.5gb ram
    - replace atheros wireless card with an intel wifi link 5100
    - install internal micro bluetooth dongle (belkin brand)

jpgirl, Feb 5, 2009
  2. jpgirl

woofer00

Make sure you have a wide variety of philips bits and other tools on hand. Everything inside is a different size. The case screws can be really stiff, but they're also pretty soft so using the wrong bits can easily strip the head creating a bigger problem.
    Nothing requires force to insert/remove. Some pieces need to rotate as you lift to get out. It's really cramped in there.
    Be really careful when removing the keyboard. The plastic cover for the LEDs is really a pain in the butt to remove if you get that clip stuck.
    Put all your screws on an inverted piece of duct tape/masking tape so you don't lose them. Arrange in position or label them.

woofer00, Feb 5, 2009
  3. jpgirl

heckufaguy

Although a lengthy process, I'd do them one at a time and boot inbetween, that way IF a problem occurs you may have a clue as to where.

But that's must my .02

heckufaguy, Feb 5, 2009
  4. jpgirl

rgarjr

Take your time doing things. Divide up the screws so that you know which ones goes where. Have fun doing it.

rgarjr, Feb 6, 2009
  5. jpgirl

runtohell121

becareful taking apart the keyboard.. i had trouble doing it.. wasted half a day trying to figure out what i did wrong :p and finally figured it out the day after..

runtohell121, Feb 6, 2009
  6. jpgirl

alictait

Which was what ? :?:

alictait, Feb 6, 2009
  7. jpgirl

teh_qube

dude, if you're going to put both a ts and a bluetooth, why dont you just connect a 4 port usb octopus hub on CN11 and that way you can have 2 available ports for later too..

teh_qube, Feb 6, 2009
  8. jpgirl

jpgirl

LOL I'm not a dude and the TS kit has a couple usb ports left over, one the bluetooth is going into and I have not decided on the other yet.
    Possibly a usb stick, gps, I dunno, I'll add whatever it is later though, I don't want to rush and do it right now since I don't really know what I want in there.
    Besides, while I don't mind tearing into my computers, I have built every single computer I have owned, my soldering skills aren't super fantastic so I wouldn't really be up for that. Besides I don't think I'll really need anymore ports as it is, I still have 3 free on the outside too.

jpgirl, Feb 6, 2009
  9. jpgirl

teh_qube

sorry about the dude, assumptions :oops: :roll:

all im saying is that if you're going to solder the ts chip onto the CN11 anyways you might as well lead the wires to the 3g hole underneath onto a usb hub and then lead wires onto the ts kit which will be placed ontop of the HDD as in the guide. this will give you the freedom of not oversoldering/overloading your ts chip and later if you want to add anything you can just open the hatch underneath and solder stuff directly onto that without opening the whole chasis to solder stuff onto the ts kit and running around the laptop again.. ;)

teh_qube, Feb 6, 2009
  10. jpgirl

jpgirl

true, If I hadn't bought the solderless TS kit ;)

Like I said i wasn't confident enough in my soldering abilities to order the soldered kit.

jpgirl, Feb 6, 2009
  11. jpgirl

JoeCHecht

For sure, I would get some one minute epoxy, and use it to epoxy the little wires coming out of the touch screen's controller board, so they don't break off (I have read a few reports of this happening, and had two break off myself).

FWIW, if you only epoxy the top part of the board, if you need to get to the connections in the future, you can still get to the solder points for those wires on the bottom of the board.

J

JoeCHecht, Feb 6, 2009
  12. jpgirl

rgarjr

Some kapton tape would be helpful.

rgarjr, Feb 7, 2009
  13. jpgirl

teh_qube

i know i can look this up but meh..where does the solderless kit connect onto?

teh_qube, Feb 8, 2009
  14. jpgirl

jpgirl

you unplug the camera and steal power from it :)
    Some kits actually disable the camera and some kits allow the camera to work still.
    Even though I never use the darn thing I didn't want to sacrifice it if there was another option.

I got the kit from ebay, the seller is fidohub, or you can go to their website fidohub.com
    It is all installed now and while I had some driver issues initially, that made me tear the whole thing apart again and start from scratch it really was not that hard to install if you take your time and are careful with the dismantle of the AAO.

jpgirl, Feb 8, 2009
  15. jpgirl

rgarjr

Why did you replace your WIFI card? Where u having problem with the orignal one?

rgarjr, Feb 11, 2009
  16. jpgirl

jpgirl

Yeah, ironically I had been eyeing the wireless N upgrade threads and had decided that the stock card was working great so why bother. Then it started acting up and I read some other accounts of problems with the card so for $20 on ebay for the card I upgraded to I figured why not.
    I tried new drivers, new bios, tweaking settings and it still produced the same results.
    The card would connect without issue and appear to remain connected but wouldn't transfer or surf half the time even thought it said it was connected. Pinging the gateway resulted in 75% time outs and the 25% of the time it would reply it would be in the 2-6ms range so there was no problem with speed.
    Like I said, for the $20 I wasn't going to beat myself up over it.

jpgirl, Feb 11, 2009
Ask a Question