suspend/resume quirkiness

Discussion in 'Linux' started by alanine, Nov 11, 2008.

1. alanine

alanine

I'm getting very frustrated with the sleep/resume issues of AA1. I have the 110 SSD model, and use the default Linpus kernel with a Slackware 12.1.

1. Most of the time suspend/resume works, but every once a while, it won't wake up after going to sleep, and I am sure there is still plenty battery left.

2. Even when it successfully wakes up from resume, I can't quit X and restart it. This is usually not a big issue but every once a while X would crash on me, and I had to reboot in order to get back in.

3. A bigger issue with resume is that after it wakes up, I can't run any OpenGL programs because they would immediately hang the system. Well, maybe not really hang, since it still responds to my CTRL-ALT-DEL command, but any other key/mouse input would have no effect.

4. Hibernation through TuxOnIce is even more unreliable. Often it would go into hibernation but won't wake up, or it simply hang before goes into hibernation. But when it works, it works great, and won't cause problem with X like suspend does.

Does any other users have similar problems? I doubt it's a distro problem because I use the default Linpus kernel. It kind of worries me because all the Ubuntu/ArchLinux/... installation guides says suspend/resume works out of box, is that really true??

alanine, Nov 11, 2008
  2. alanine

annafil

what exactly do you mean by "default linpus kernel"?

suspend and hibernate are usually controlled by acpi and not the kernel, so it actually sounds like a slackware configuration issue to me

annafil, Nov 11, 2008
  3. alanine

alanine

I'm using the same kernel that comes in default Linpus installation, i.e., version 2.6.23.9lw.

ACPI is part of the kernel, and there is a userland program "acpid" that is not. You can actually just do "echo mem > /sys/power/state" to suspend.

I'll appreciate if you can let me know if you had any problem restarting X after a resume, or running OpenGL program (like glxgears) after a resume. This may be the fastest way to verify if the problem I have is a distro problem. Thanks a lot!

alanine, Nov 12, 2008
  4. alanine

annafil

nop, i havent encountered that problem before on ubuntu or linpus. and yes acpi may be compiled in, but the suspend resme sequence of scripts is distro specific

annafil, Nov 12, 2008
  5. alanine

alanine

I just upgraded to latest kernel 2.6.28-rc4, all suspend related problems disappeared. I've not tried hibernate yet since it requires the tuxonice patch. But nevertheless, this is great!

Other notes about the latest kernel (compared to the Linpus 2.6.23.9lw kernel)

1. I can use 915resolution together with uvesafb to get 1024x600 native framebuffer for console.

2. ath5k for wireless works flawlessly, even after suspend/resume, so I can forget about madwifi.

3. I still don't have internal mic, but since it'd never worked in my case, not a big surprise.

4. Unlike the Linpus kernel, sdhci requires some tweaking (add option debug_quirks=1) to get SD card recognized at boot.

alanine, Nov 16, 2008
  6. alanine

arjen_1

HI,

I experience the same. Quite frustrating. Last time it suspended the whole system freezed with M-player running and making loud noises. After 5 times trying to boot up again suddenly all worked fine again. Quite anoying....

Also the standby mode does not work from the "quit" menu. Only from the FN-F4 key combination.

Greetz,
    Arjen

PS: I only update using live update; does it include the kernel update you are writing about? If so....I still experience the same problems.

arjen_1, Nov 16, 2008
  7. alanine

alanine

I used a different distro and compiled my own kernel, so it's not from the live update of Linpus Linux, and I actually doubt they'll ever push new kernels through live update because it's quite risky.

alanine, Nov 17, 2008
Ask a Question