Supervisor and HDD password disable - possible?

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by DC-3, Jul 10, 2009.

1. DC-3

DC-3

Ok, I've had a look around the forums and the internet to the answer for this but as yet have not found the answer.

I created a Supervisor and HDD password in the BIOS screen to add a little extra security to my netbook (Acer Aspire One running XP if that helps). Both passwords work fine, no problems there. The thing I'd like to do though is disable the HDD password. The reason being is I would prefer not to constantly be asked for this everytime I boot. Is there an easy way to disable it?. I go into my BIOS settings and select the option to change it but there appears to be no option to disable it. So I can change it but not disable??. This is a little annoying as I'd like to be able to turn it on/off when I'm away from home (security of password needed) or at home (security not so important). Any help on this?. I already tried leaving the new password field blank but it did nothing.

DC-3, Jul 10, 2009
  2. DC-3

DC-3

Well after messing about with it for a while I've got them cleared :) . Seems I simply had to hit enter 3 times for it to register as a blank password after selecting the option to change it. On top of that you must also physically switch off the netbook once you leave the BIOS setting for it to stick. Next time I booted I wasn't asked for any passwords ;) . That must be the reason I wasn't getting them to clear properly the last time I tried a blank entry in the new password field. I can relax now, BIOS password settings stress me out!.

DC-3, Jul 10, 2009
Ask a Question