Strange standby issue in XP

Discussion in 'Windows' started by netphil, Sep 17, 2008.

1. netphil

netphil

Hi to all Aspire One users ;)

I hope this is a known and solved problem, though i couldnt find anything bout it around here.

I bouhgt a A150L and installed a nlited XP SP3. All the drivers and programs work well and the performance is awesome.
    Now my problem is the following: When I hit the "Standby" button in Windows, I get the usual "Preparing to standby" and then suddenly the AAO turns off and on again after some seconds. It does reboot.

Some other info:
    It hasn't worked right from the start, so I can't say that I changed something that destroyed the standby.
    I read something about standby problems with the SUYIN driver. I tried uninstalling the webcam even though i have other symptoms and the LiteOn webcam.

Thanks in advance for any help. Phil :)

netphil, Sep 17, 2008
  2. netphil

netphil

anyone? come on guys...

ok 1 new info or is that another thread? with bis 3304 even hibernation doesnt work anymore :/

netphil, Sep 18, 2008
  3. netphil

goapy

All of my standby issues completely went away after I disabled the webcam in device manager. I still have the webcam disabled.

goapy, Sep 19, 2008
  4. netphil

judeh101

with bios 3304, it still works fine with hibernation on my aao.
    However, in vista, I have this issue where my keyboard or trackpad stops working after resuming from standby, never happens with BIOS 3114.
    But happens sometimes not all the time.

judeh101, Sep 19, 2008
  5. netphil

STEEEL

My problem went away as well by disabling the camera. However I want to know if there are any other drivers out there that will work with the camera so I can have it working at all times as before. THanks

STEEEL, Sep 22, 2008
  6. netphil

netphil

Hi, I still have the standby issue. here is a more detailed description:
    - Standby will result in the following: I get the normal preparing screen, then the screen turns off. Everything normal so far. The hdd gets heavily used and after a few secs it just turns completely off.
    - Hibernation: I dont even get the preparing screen. The screen becomes dark for less then a second and then the login screen is shown again (I think it directly wakes it back up). Sometimes it gets stuck and just shows the preparing to hibernate screen.

The best thing is that sometimes, when it is just standing there unused, it restarts. Another issue is that it somehow turns back on when I shut it down (this happens only when I'm on external power).

By the way: I have bios v3304 and I'm running Vista now with my webcam uninstalled -.-

Hope anyone can help. Thanks. Phil.

netphil, Sep 30, 2008
  7. netphil

netphil

Why does it just turn off when i try to switch it to standby?

netphil, Sep 30, 2008
  8. netphil

trepamuros

I suffered the Standby problem (preparing... blank screen... green led keeps on... fan keeps moving), even with the BIOS 3304.

I removed the SuYin Webcam driver from Control Panel/Add-remove programs, cleaned the registry (used CCleaner), deleted the Webcam in the device manager. Reboot, XP detected the webcam and automatically installed the standard Microsoft driver (webcam is listed as USB Video Device), checked that the webcam is fully functional.

... and never suffered the Standby problem again!!!

So, the tip is: DO NOT INSTALL THE SUYIN DRIVER.

trepamuros, Oct 1, 2008
  9. netphil

netphil

well thanks, I read a lot abotu that driver
    the problem is I dont have it. I have a LiteOn Webcam and I also tried with uninstalled liteon driver. nothing. my situation is still the above :(

netphil, Oct 1, 2008
  10. netphil

trepamuros

Did you try to remove the webcam from the Device Manager first?
    Try it then execute the installation file of the driver (usually setup.exe), maybe it ask if you want to remove it.
    If so, remember to clean the registry before a reboot, so XP can detect the webcam and apply his own driver after reboot.

trepamuros, Oct 1, 2008
  11. netphil

netphil

i dont have installed the driver.
    i'll go to the store i bought it tomorrow and ask them for support or a new one.
    thanks anyway.

netphil, Oct 1, 2008
Ask a Question