still problems installing VLC...

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Prim, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Prim

Prim

ok, so I think ive tried everyguide there is to install vlc but it wont work...
    first it looks good but then it says:

Error: Missing Dependency libtar.so.1 is needed by package vlc
    Error: Missing Dependency libebml.so.0 libtar.so.1 is needed by package vlc-core
    Error: Missing Dependency libvga.so.1 libtar.so.1 is needed by package vlc-core
    Error: Missing Dependency libxosd.so.2 libtar.so.1 is needed by package vlc
    Error: Missing Dependency libmp4v2.so.0 libtar.so.1 is needed by package faac
    Error: Missing Dependency dejavu-fonts libtar.so.1 is needed by package vlc
    Error: Missing Dependency libdirac-encoder.so.0 libtar.so.1 is needed by package vlc-core
    Error: Missing Dependency libcddb.so.2 libtar.so.1 is needed by package vlc-core
    Error: Missing Dependency libmatroska.so.o libtar.so.1 is needed by package vlc-core
    Error: Missing Dependency libdirectfb-1.0.so.0 libtar.so.1 is needed by package vlc-core
    Error: Missing Dependency libmodplug.so.0 libtar.so.1 is needed by package vlc-core
    Error: Missing Dependency libvgagl.so.1 libtar.so.1 is needed by package vlc-core
    Error: Missing Dependency libdirac_decoder.so.0 libtar.so.1 is needed by package vlc-core

Ive tried everything that´s written on this page (i think)... Have a AAO 512mb 120gb if that matters...

thanks for the helpl

Prim, Sep 16, 2008
  2. Prim

chowwuikeung

normally, you're not supposed to get that many missing files.

Your error message just means you're missing those files and needs downloading, which YUM was supposed to do for you.

There should be a how to guide in the main section on installing vlc. Make sure you follow all the instructions.

chowwuikeung, Sep 16, 2008
  3. Prim

Prim

yes, I ahve already searched the forum and tried diffrent ways on how to install VLC but I get the same error everytime. And as you said, it seems like im the only one with this problem... is it possible i somehow fucked it up really bad and need to reinstall linpus or?

Prim, Sep 16, 2008
  4. Prim

chowwuikeung

I'm just thinking that you missed a step.

Anyways, since you've tried to redo the guides. I suggest you download those files manually.
    libtar.so.1
    libebml.so.0
    libvga.so.1
    libxosd.so.2
    libmp4v2.so.0
    dejavu-fonts
    libdirac-encoder.so.0
    libcddb.so.2
    libmatroska.so.o
    libdirectfb-1.0.so.0
    libmodplug.so.0
    libvgagl.so.1
    libdirac_decoder.so.0

They're all rpm files. Just google, download and load/open them. Linpus linus is based on Fedora 8. I would get the i586 version myself. Then redo the guides on installing vlc.
    If you're lucky, I think all but the first file is located in the file libtar.so.1.

chowwuikeung, Sep 16, 2008
  5. Prim

kevin

You _can_ install all these missing dependencies manually, but it might be better to figure out what went wrong in the first place. Did you do `yum install vlc' ? It should have picked up all the dependencies if it was working properly.

If you really want to install them manually, the best way I can think of is to point your browser at rpmfind.net, enter the name of the missing file in the search box, hunt through the list for a .rpm package that suits Fedora Core 8 (on Intel 32-bit, e.g., with i386 or i686 in the name but not i386_64), download the file, then run `sudo rpm -i {filename}' at the prompt.

But when you do this you'll discover new missing dependencies in some (maybe all) the files you downloaded, and then you'll need to find and download those. And so on. This is why `yum install' works better -- it should get the missing bits automatically.

kevin, Sep 18, 2008
  6. Prim

Prim

yep, did yum install vlc, removed the other players, updated fedora, probably did everything.... at last i downloaded the missing files manually and now it works. But as you said, i had to download a lot more files than those that were missing... thanks for the help though!

Prim, Sep 18, 2008
Ask a Question