Steps to assemble a laptop?

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by djtech, Jan 23, 2016.

1. djtech

djtech

I have assembled PCs before. But, I don’t know anyone who has assembled laptops. Recently, I found this guy who repairs laptops and he has hundreds of laptop bodies, screens, you name it. Plus, you can find most of the missing parts online.

I mean I want to build a wicked wicked laptop and the guy I’m talking about has this Panasonic ToughBook body, now I want to see if I can build something using it.

So, the question then is, has anyone here ever assembled a laptop? If so, what would be your advice for this project? What should be the steps?

djtech, Jan 23, 2016
  2. djtech

something back

Sorry to say it's not going to be as simple as building a pc.

Most laptop motherboards will be restricted to which cpu's
    can be interchanged.

Again some boards will have unchangeable soldered components,
    they could also be many bios restrictions.

something back, Jan 23, 2016
  3. djtech

vinaya

My knowledge on computer hardware is very limited. I stumbled upon this thread looking for answers. I have an old laptop which makes lots of noise and heats very fast, thus I want to change cooling fan. I want to learn how to do this.

vinaya, Jan 26, 2016
  4. djtech

something back

If you do an internet search for a service manual,or search youtube
    you should find a detailed disassembly routine that will help.

something back, Jan 26, 2016
  5. djtech

djtech

Well, you can buy a cooling rack/ mount or whatever its called. I had an ancient laptop for a while - my very first one. I refused to let it go for whatever reason. It was an hp laptop and it had major heating issues, because the fan outlet was at the bottom, which meant it was "designed" poorly. You can buy that, and see. I think it will work and its a low cost solution.

djtech, Jan 27, 2016
  6. djtech

Andorphin

I've disassembled and assembled back my own laptop a while ago, which is an HP. I'm gonna show you some photos here if you want to see it done. The first step you need to do is take out all the screws from the back of the laptop. Then move out to where the plastic cover for the connectors are. If there are any screws around it get them out. You will need a pry tool or something similar to get that plastic cover out. After taking it out you will need to disconnect every little connector carefully. Depending on which laptop model you have you can take the screen out and move to the next step. Now you have to get the CD/DVD Drive out. You have to disconnect that large blue thing and the black cable connector as well. Afterwards you take a pry tool and pry open the laptop at the base of the battery (depending on the laptop you can take the upper cover out with the keyboard altogether or just take the keyboard out and then the cover). If you've never done this before I don't recommend you to do it unless you have an idea of what you're doing.

There's the location of the plastic cover that I'm talking about. Here, as you can see, it's taken out and you can see all components and connectors.

[​IMG]

And here's the laptop with the upper cover taken out. Took the upper cover out with the keyboard altogether. You need to understand that not all laptops are the same. In most cases you have to take the keyboard out first and then the upper cover. Nevertheless, it takes a while and you have to be very patient. Do your own research on what laptop you have and how it is designed. Hope this gave you an idea of what it is. Again, do your own research.

[​IMG]

Good luck.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
    Andorphin, Feb 1, 2016
    djtech and IcyBC like this.
  7. djtech

IcyBC

I too, have very limited knowledge on the physical fixing with the laptop or any devices for that matter. I once followed a YouTube tutorial video to try to clean out the dust inside my pocket camera to the T but then I couldn't get them back together. Luckily, I practiced it on a throw away camera.

If anything happens, I just have to find a reliable and trustworthy and affordable shop to take it to!

IcyBC, Feb 1, 2016
  8. djtech

djtech

Hey
    Hey just a shout out to you man. These pics helped me.Well, the lesson I've learned is not everything can be replaced but most of the things can. I just don't want to solder something because I am not very good at it. This helps. Thanks.

djtech, Feb 24, 2016
  9. djtech

Ishmael

Building/dismantling a laptop is WAY HARDER than building a desktop computer. Every laptop brand has a different way of building their computers, so it's hard to help you with it. Each component is basically restricted to use just the type of CPU that came with it, with veeeery few exceptions. Same goes with GPUs and so on.

Ishmael, Feb 24, 2016
  10. djtech

djtech

Yeah it is hard. Plus, I realized that building a desktop is fun and does not feel like a job. I mean its something so easy to do and the desktop would look so much better too.

djtech, Mar 1, 2016
  11. djtech

SirJoe

A laptop is the same as a desktop, the only difference is that you don't have as much space and very often the parts are made to fit. If you have multiple laptops that are of the same model but with different CPU's and graphic cards I don't see why you can't do it.

SirJoe, Apr 12, 2016
Ask a Question