Standing desk, anyone?

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by clair02, Oct 5, 2016.

1. clair02

clair02

I read somewhere that a standing desk can not only help you to reverse the effects of sitting too long at your computer, but that you will also lose weight without even trying - just by using a standing desk. I've decided that if this is true, then I definitely have to get one because I spend way too much time sitting at my desk. What do you think?

clair02, Oct 5, 2016
  2. clair02

Corzhens

It seems like you are pointing to me with that losing weight but this thread surely got my attention because of that, LOL. However, I cannot work well when I'm standing, you know these 50-year old feet cannot endure standing for long anymore unlike before. I will surely lose my concentration with that standing desk. But maybe I have to ask around if anyone in my circle have tried that and if it was effective... in losing weight.

Corzhens, Oct 6, 2016
  3. clair02

remnant

This could be good news to those who are fighting weight loss battles since most office staff face the challenge of long hours of sitting which also causes hives on their feet. There is also some recent research that suggests that sitting for longer periods of time is a potent predisposing factor for cancer. Personally, I wouldn't have problems with standing since it creates a sense of urgency and one can do more work.

remnant, Oct 6, 2016
  4. clair02

Novelangel

Nope. I'm too lazy these days. :D Actually, I spent thirteen years standing up at my job in the factory, and I now have flat feet and bad knees.Today, I sort of prefer to do as much of my job as possible while sitting. I do sometimes get body aches and pains from sitting too long though... and that's when I need to get up and do something else for a few minutes. When working from home there are always a lot of distractions around anyway.

Novelangel, Oct 9, 2016
  5. clair02

djtech

Well, I saw a standing plus reclining desk on Techcrunch a few days ago. I mean although TC focused on how one could work while laying down, the setup can be used while standing up as well. The company Altwork that produces these babies has been preaching the benefits of stand-up desks for a long time:

djtech, Oct 9, 2016
    acerme2 likes this.
  6. clair02

Karen Gordon

I don't have the cash to purchase a standing desk, and certainly standing at a counter with my laptop plugged in does not sound like a lot of fun. I do get up frequently during the time I am working so it is not like I am just doing nothing during the time I am working. I always have things that I can be doing in the house.

Karen Gordon, Oct 9, 2016
  7. clair02

acerme2

I can't work well when I'm standing. My alternative to long hours of sitting while working is working while lying down on the sofa. This is more relaxing and I tend to be more productive in this position. As for losing weight, good news if it's true but I'm not so sure about it.

acerme2, Oct 14, 2016
  8. clair02

Elektron

I don't really like them, I've already seen them around, but no way I can use one of those, indeed.

Elektron, Oct 14, 2016
Ask a Question