Standby Problems - No Wake and Battery Drain!

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by jai, Jan 5, 2010.

1. jai

jai

Hi guys, Ive just been on holiday for 2 weeks with my brand new 751 and I noticed a fair few issues... which Im thinking may be related to the freezing/mainboard issues being described.

My only mods so far have been: Upgraded memory to Kingston 2GB module, did a BIOS change, HDD change for Win7 install last night (600mA power draw versus supplied drive of 451mA draw at max)

Firstly, I had the preinstalled XP Home. It would standby okay, however when pressing the power button to wake it up the LED would go green, no WLAN indicator would come on and the machine simply wouldnt turn back on properly - ie no display. Upon holding the power button down to fully power off and back on again I noticed later in the windows logs that there was a ACPIEC error would be present in the Event Log (good read here http://winhlp.com/node/43)

At this point I upgraded my BIOS from 3204 to 3210 - but to no change in behavior. I had mediocre luck with the thing returning from standby.

I trialled hibernation a few times and that was OK... i suspect because the machine was fully turning off, as opposed to power still being used in standby.

I also let the machine sit in standby overnight and on a number of occassions I would find the machine to have run out of power during the night, even from a 60% charged battery.

The machine will randomly wake up on battery, and will wake up most of the time on AC adaptor but nothing is guaranteed.

I installed Windows 7 last night on a fresh hard drive, updated the graphics driver etc and first standby on AC worked and it came back on OK. Second time on battery no luck. I had to turn it off again.

Reset BIOS to defaults to no avail.

Mainboard replacement time?

jai, Jan 5, 2010
  2. jai

jai

Hibernations appear to be functioning ok in Win7

With a pretty basic install with all hardward drivers updated, my system takes about 1 minute to boot up (1min 11sec for a website to be open in front of me) and takes about 14 seconds to shut down. Hibernation takes 28 seconds to shut off, and then about 29 seconds to come back on, and first webpage up within 35 seconds. So the time it takes to hibernate is about the same to do a fresh boot.

Im at a loss what to do when I want to have the machine off for a few hours but back on in an instant!

JK

jai, Jan 6, 2010
  3. jai

jai

I removed my Kingston KVR800D2S5/2G module today and put back the factory yumcha brand module and low and behold the damn machine will sleep and wake up fine in Win7 and Win XP.

I suspect the Kingston requires more start up power than the factory dimm... or something like that. I might look at finding an older 533 or 667 module to use in place of the 800mhz kingston.

Weird... but intel say this chipset only supports 1GB anyways?

JK

jai, Jan 8, 2010
  4. jai

jai

Been standbying for the past 2 days with Win7 and factory ram module and not had an issue.

Word from the wise... purchase your 2GB modules carefully!

JK

jai, Jan 10, 2010
Ask a Question