Standby/Hibernate Issues in WinXP

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by desolate, Jun 24, 2010.

1. desolate

desolate

When I close the lid for standby, more than half the time when I open up the lid later on, the HDD light will be flashing and the fan will still be on. However, the screen is black. No Fn key combination or Ctrl+Alt+Del will work. Only holding down the power button and doing a hard shut down will turn the computer off. Hibernate has a similar problem. Sometimes, it will work fine. Other times it will get stuck on 'Preparing to hibernate'. Nothing but holding down the power button will shut it down. I've looked far and wide for a solution to this, but nothing has worked. I tried uninstalling the crystal eye webcam software, turning off the prompt password when returning from hibernate, and a whole list of other little things that didn't work. This problem happens only randomly, but so much that it is VERY annoying.

I have the 160gb Windows XP Aspire One with all the latest Windows Updates, which did not help any. I saw one post on another forum that suggested to send the computer back immediately for repairs, otherwise you're pretty much screwed. Seeing as my computer is over a year and a half old, I don't think this will help me much as far as the warranty goes (although I didn't check that yet. I assume its 1 year?). Also, I have heard people say to upgrade the BIOS which I have not done yet, but I have seen many people that say this does not solve the problem at all.

I find it hard to believe that so many people have had this exact same problem and there is simply no solution. Does anyone have any input? Thanks so much for the help!

desolate, Jun 24, 2010
  2. desolate

Welty

Hello! When this happens, you're using your Aspire One plugged with the charger, or on battery mode? This happend with mine, when I was on battery, but I think it was because the battery died :lol: ....

Welty, Jun 24, 2010
  3. desolate

desolate

It's funny that you mention that because I think it is some kind of power management issue. The only reason I say this is because the problem seems to occur far fewer times when the computer is plugged in and charging. I'm pretty sure there have been a few instances where it happened anyway even though it was plugged in. However, my battery certainly isn't dead. I actually keep it on a strict power cycle :geek:

desolate, Jun 25, 2010
  4. desolate

desolate

Damn, no more replies? It seems to be happening more and more often now :(

desolate, Jun 29, 2010
  5. desolate

desolate

**UPDATE**

Well, I think I found a solution, as simple as it is. Don't try to uninstall the Crystal Eye Webcam.. simply disable it in the device manager. It's been about 3 days and I haven't had a single problem putting my computer into standby. I hope this helps someone, especially since I couldn't find anything else that works anywhere in my searches. Enjoy!

desolate, Jul 4, 2010
Ask a Question