SSD Vs. Cloud

Discussion in 'Storage' started by UpgradeMe, Mar 22, 2016.

1. UpgradeMe

UpgradeMe

How much does having a solid state drive save versus using common cloud storage?

I will be uploading and keeping a stash of videos for my channel, and I am debating whether I should stick to cloud storage or just move to a better SSD. I have zero experience with them however, and was wondering if anyone has an experience between the pros and cons of the two. thanks!

UpgradeMe, Mar 22, 2016
  2. UpgradeMe

IBMPC8088

I'm not sure I understand your question here.

I wouldn't look at using an SSD versus cloud storage in the same terms, but rather from the standpoint of security over local storage be it solid state or magnetic.

If you're looking to get a lot of space inexpensively or for as cheap as possible, then using a really large magnetic drive or (for a little more reliability) using a cluster of them in a RAID arrangement, would be the most cost-effective way to go.

The prices on SSD drives have been approaching the realm of magnetic drives increasingly faster over the past few years, so it may get to the point that SSDs are on the same price level as magnetic drives, or might even become cheaper if the current technology trends and advancements with solid state technology continue.

Athough some people find cloud storage to be convenient, and it has become very cheap for anything that isn't of value to you to store out there, the problem I have always had with it (and why it does not work for me personally) is that once it is uploaded to a random server, it is distributed hundreds or thousands of times to unknown locations.

If there is any sensitive data or information you have that you did not want public or published globally for anyone and everyone to have access to, then you should always avoid storing anything in unknown distributed servers (cutely called "cloud" for marketing sake), and just keep things local.

If it is data that is available for free, like freeware or common pictures that are already published on the internet or accessible through a Google web search, then you could use cloud storage for something like that, since it would be no different than what you are seeing on global searches for billions of users.

IBMPC8088, Mar 23, 2016
    djtech likes this.
  3. UpgradeMe

UpgradeMe

Ah, ok, I see what you're saying. I am not familiar at all with hardware and have only ever been recommended using SSDs or cloud storage and just need to backup my files for obvious reasons. I've been trying to weigh the two but was having trouble picking between fees and a single storage unit

UpgradeMe, Mar 23, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  4. UpgradeMe

CaptainOblivious

What storage type you go with mainly depends on your usage. If you frequently access the data, getting an SSD may be worth the high initial cost, and save a lot of bandwidth.This is especially relevant if you have a data cap. On the other hand, if you care more about data safety and use the data less frequently, go with cloud services.

CaptainOblivious, Apr 12, 2016
  5. UpgradeMe

something back

Unless you use an encryption, using the cloud can be risky.

something back, Apr 12, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  6. UpgradeMe

djtech

Why not do both? I mean what if a massive storm hits and for some reason connectivity goes down for a couple of days, then what? And what if the SSD gets infected or damaged by a crazed arson-prone girlfriend? You never know :p

I would actually do both. In fact, that is sort of what I do all the time.

In terms of security, I have to agree that cloud isn't as secure. But, if security is not your main concern, create a plan that allows you to backup offline using ssd AND that can help you backup to the cloud without wasting a lot of time. Usually, all you need to do is drop your files that need to be backed up into a folder that syncs with your cloud account. But, there are professional software solutions that can make your life much easier. Try a few for free and see if you like one.

djtech, Apr 12, 2016
  7. UpgradeMe

FenWoFon

Well, I personally do not like uploading my stuff to any of those 'clouds' I do not really feel confident by doing that, the thoughts of being hacked or the cloud being closed comes to my mind and does not let me do so, I would definitely not use any cloud, I would rather upgrade my PC's storage or hard disk itself, it is way safer.

FenWoFon, Apr 14, 2016
  8. UpgradeMe

Corzhens

This is not to smear the cloud. Yahoo is having its financial problem and is being offered for sale. What would happen to our emails? It is okay if the company which would acquire yahoo would continue with the service. What if it closes down and use the facilities for other means?

That's the same with the cloud. If you depend on the cloud for storing all your data, what happens if it suddenly close shop? Of course, you have an archive in your back-up drive but that's beside the point.

Corzhens, Jun 20, 2016
  9. UpgradeMe

Vash

If you just need some extra storage for backing up some files, then having your own external hard drive is the way to go. I do not trust cloud and I do not think it is convenient when you have large amount of huge files stored there. It takes time to transfer these files from the cloud.

Even from the point of view of economical, it is a better idea to just use an external hard drive of your own. It does not have to be a SSD though. You can get 2TB or 3TB external hard drives fairly cheap. SSD is more expensive than traditional hard drives, but they are so cheap compare to the prices from a few years ago. Personally I am using a 512GB SSD as an external hard drive. You can do the same or get a bigger one. In the long run, it will actually save you both money and a lot of time over the cloud option.

Vash, Jun 20, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  10. UpgradeMe

vinaya

I trust more on SSD thus I save data on SSD. I use cloud storage, but not much. I only have free cloud service with dropbox, one drive and google drive. I need active internet connection to use cloud storage however, I can store data on SSD when ever I want. One of the reasons why I use SSD is because I use prepaid internet service.

vinaya, Jun 29, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  11. UpgradeMe

nytegeek

It shouldn't be a one pr the other solution. Both should be integrated into a backup plan if you value your data. Always bck up to more than one source and choose different sources when possible. Having more than one avenue for retrieving your data jus might save your butt a few times.

nytegeek, Jul 1, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
Ask a Question