SSD unbearably slow under XP

Discussion in 'Windows' started by techie, Jul 10, 2008.

1. techie

rjtd

I followed the instructions on Happy XP Experience and XP still stalls from time to time.
    When it is not stalling it is really fast.

rjtd, Jul 14, 2008
  2. techie

nalmeida

Define "from time to time"?

I finished a XP SP3 (reduced with nlite) install a few hours ago and still didn't notice any slow downs.

Current problem is the drivers for the battery, windows detects it but doesn't find the drivers, I already downloaded the drivers I found on the net but none solved the problem.

nalmeida, Jul 14, 2008
  3. techie

rjtd

Example:
    - You are on windows, press right button on top of the taskbar and it stalls for 30 seconds, and only after that the menu shows.
    - You open a page, and while scrolling the SSD light turns on and everything stalls.
    - You go to Control Panel, open System Settings, SSD light turns on and everything stalls.

But this is not just on Windows. Even if on Linux everything is fast, if you try to make a large transference it takes ages.

rjtd, Jul 14, 2008
  4. techie

nalmeida

I had that problems yesterday with the drive formatted in ntfs, I then disabled d2d in the bios and reinstalled a fresh copy using fat32 and that kind of slow downs disappeared completely.

nalmeida, Jul 14, 2008
  5. techie

rjtd

That's strange, because I installed it with D2D turned off and FAT32.
    Did you perform a fast format?
    What kind of things did you ripped off with nlite?

rjtd, Jul 14, 2008
  6. techie

nalmeida

Just to add a few more notes, I still haven't installed Office but so far this environment seems as fast (like 80% as fast) as linpus, mp3 playback works flawlessly and divx seems to have a problem related with the drivers/codec, not necessarily an hardware shortcoming. As a sidenote boot of the XP took 48 seconds.

nalmeida, Jul 14, 2008
  7. techie

nalmeida

At first I made a normal format but since I had to reinstall again (problems with the cd) in the second time around I only made a fast format. I also erased al partitions and made just one partition. As for the things I took out from nlite to be honest I don't have a clue, I'm in windows since the first windows 95 version so I'm a little bit familiar with the options in nlite so I took out everything I didn't like/need.

nalmeida, Jul 14, 2008
  8. techie

rjtd

My bad. It doesn't work for me.
    But the funny thing was that XP only took something like 30 seconds to boot.

rjtd, Jul 14, 2008
  9. techie

igorsoft

i have eeepc 701 and also aspire one. Asus in more fast.
    i think the brand has included driver in recovery disk. i hope wehn exit Acer one with Xp preinstalled with Soldid DIsk SSD, the driver is public.
    with this situation, not possible use Acer one with XP. i have upgrade with 1 gb, for total 1,5 Gb and optimizet XP in less of 3,2 gb, but the led of SSD flasshiing every operation, i Make for many second.

Byezzz
    Igor

igorsoft, Jul 14, 2008
  10. techie

rjtd

There is no such thing as a driver for a IDE SSD.
    The driver is already there: the ICH7 driver.

rjtd, Jul 14, 2008
  11. techie

igorsoft

just i have installet drive of chipset 945 with ICH7, but i think is not sufficient, for corect fast running
    Asus eeep701 is more fast. i think miss something for best performance.
    if not rigth that i say, and Ich7 is sufficient, i think Acer use SSD not good quality.

what do you think ? (sorry for my basic english)
    Byezzz

igorsoft, Jul 14, 2008
  12. techie

rjtd

Eee PC has a better SSD. And generally, the larger the flash, the slower it is. So, that is why it is faster than the One.
    Also, given that the SSD on EEE is not IDE, and is PCI-E, probably you need a driver for it. The one just has the HDD connected to the ATA channel of the ICH7 southbridge.

rjtd, Jul 14, 2008
  13. techie

pcc

pcc, Jul 14, 2008
  14. techie

KiNG

nice find !

KiNG, Jul 14, 2008
  15. techie

rscutaru

Could anyone confirm that the above drivers fix the problems of slow SSD. I presume only the chipset driver would have to loaded.

rscutaru, Jul 14, 2008
  16. techie

techie

The driver seems to be an older version of the Intel chipset driver for the 945 series....I've tried 3 versions..the one supplied by Acer (on their Thailand site), the latest version from Intel (version 9 I believe) and this one (version 8.5 I think).

The only difference in performance I think comes from not having any driver from the above list...so installing the MSI version or any would make it go from unbearably slow to possibly bearable..if you can handle the stalling.

I'm off to try Ubuntu for my next test...

techie, Jul 15, 2008
  17. techie

Verbl Kint

You guys have got to check this out:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=59

Verbl Kint, Jul 15, 2008
  18. techie

Strawberry Field

I've just reinstall the windows xp with FAT32. It is really faster than NTFS. Though any software installation process keeps hanging, general computer using speed is 50times faster my feeling.

Strawberry Field, Jul 16, 2008
  19. techie

MasterMind

Now ACER has the same official drivers and it doesn't help. The only thing matters for system speed should be the "chipset" driver, right?
    I'm trying to install TinyXP 0.9, and try the u100 chipset driver to see how it works.

It is really disapointing that XP can't run smoothly on ONE. If it doesn't work out soon, I will not recommend any one buy this stuff.

MasterMind, Jul 16, 2008
  20. techie

rjtd

Even if you can speed up a little bit the One, only a miracle would make it fast.
    The SSD write speed is 7MB/s for sequential writes and 3MB/s for random.
    As a comparision, the Eee writes at 13MB/s, and a regular disk should write at more than 30 MB/s.
    Also, be aware that the One SSD stated lifetime is only 3 years.

rjtd, Jul 16, 2008
Ask a Question