SSD died

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by siulaba, Jul 20, 2008.

1. siulaba

siulaba

SSD died, started with a "non system disk... " message, then booted up fine, but got blue screen about 20 minutes in.... then disk is corrupt... took me 10 reboots (pulling battery, etc.) to format it properly again, or else the windows setup would say its got formatting error....

anyone?

siulaba, Jul 20, 2008
  2. siulaba

lotus49

Unfortunately it appears you have a warranty claim on your hands. The only alternative is to engage in some warranty-voiding hardware hacking and unless you were already planning to do this and are reasonably proficient with hardware, it looks like your One is going to have to go back to your nearest Acer repair shop.

My last experience of having an Acer repaired resulted in a three week absence for my laptop so it's likely that you are going to be without your One for a bit unless you are lucky enough to live somewhere close to a repair shop.

PS From the symptoms it looks like either the ZIF cable has worked its way loose (which would be very easy to fix) or the flash controller (rather than any of the memory itself) has failed. Not that this makes much difference from your point of view.

lotus49, Jul 20, 2008
  3. siulaba

Kev50027

Have you tried the included Linpus restore DVD? It could be a problem with drivers with Windows.

Kev50027, Jul 20, 2008
  4. siulaba

Davidcowling

and that gentleman, is why i'll be getting the HDD version

Davidcowling, Jul 24, 2008
  5. siulaba

glibdud

Heh. You think HDDs will be better? I can't really say if this is indicative of a larger problem with the SSDs, but I can say that HDDs aren't exactly the pinnacle of reliability. Especially on portable devices.

glibdud, Jul 24, 2008
  6. siulaba

Davidcowling

ive had an old sony laptop for about 6 years now and its hard drive, although small, is working fine.

i don't think hdds are that bad at all, theyve just been looked down on as the 'more unreliable' option in comparison to ssds.

besides, when im carrying my AA1 around, it will be turned off and the hdd locked in place. i would only worry about the hdd if i was shaking it violently whilst it was turned on.

Davidcowling, Jul 25, 2008
  7. siulaba

glibdud

I've been doing PC support for my company now for 2 and a half years. We have around 50 laptop users, and we generally have a hard drive in one of them go bad about once a month. It's all statistics... some people will never have a problem, and some will end up going through 2 or 3 hard drives a year (it's happened). It's certainly partly to do with how the user handles the machine, but it's still enough to motivate me to try alternate technology. A machine this size is bound to take a little abuse being tossed in backpacks and such, and I'd prefer to not have to worry about it.

But hey, that's why they make different configurations for people with different priorities. :)

glibdud, Jul 25, 2008
  8. siulaba

Davidcowling

surely if the laptop is turned off, then the hdd will lock up???

don't they do that?

Davidcowling, Aug 6, 2008
Ask a Question