Spotify Icon on Desktop! Impossible!

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by paranoiid, Feb 9, 2009.

1. paranoiid

paranoiid

So im trying to add Spotify to the quicklaunch bar in Aspire One and... Dear god its frustrating

This is what Ive tried to do:
    <app sequence="1">/usr/share/applications/Spotify.desktop</app>

And :
    <app icon="spotify.png" name="Spotify" sequence="1">/home/user/Documents/AspireOne/Spotify.desktop</app>

below id7 (replaced the photo thing)

And they both produce the same result: The desktop goes bat sh*t and everything becomes lines from group-app.xml and the only thing that I can use is the search bar.

Tried googlig, nothing. So last resort here :p Please oh mighty Linux gods, what am I doing wrong?

paranoiid, Feb 9, 2009
  2. paranoiid

Jepser

Are you using Linpus or what? I'm using Linux Mint and ain't got no problem to have spotify icon on my desktop : >

Jepser, Feb 9, 2009
  3. paranoiid

Darryl

If you are running spotify thru wine you may have to reformat (jpg to png) or resize the icon. Other than that try an app seqence at the other end of the scale, that is not "1" but 5 or 6 ,whatever, so long as the number is different from all the others in that section

Darryl, Feb 9, 2009
  4. paranoiid

paranoiid

Did reformat the icon to 90x90.
    But if i try the app sequence at the other end, spotify would be the first 3, which i want it to be : O

Im using the one that came with the AA1 : p
    I think its Linpus? Not sure : o

paranoiid, Feb 10, 2009
  5. paranoiid

Darryl

you can put the icon in whatever app sequence then drag and drop it to the fiirst three so it shows on your desktop. Just hit the arrow on the desktop so you go into the section so you can see all the options and drag whatever you want into the top left section with the dark background.

Darryl, Feb 10, 2009
  6. paranoiid

paranoiid

I did try to actually set it at a higher Sequence (both 13 and 12) and I got the same "error" when I rebooted. Desktop goes black and then it just copies whatever was on last time so usually lot of windows/texts becomes the actual desktop. Cant right click, cant go home, etc.

paranoiid, Feb 10, 2009
  7. paranoiid

paranoiid

Now I have another problem!

So I did restore with a flash drive but now I cant add any applications to the desktop. No matter how I do the pathway to /usr/share/applications/aMSN.desktop it just won't show. (replaced the acer's built in IM)
    Also after ive installed VLC it showed up as "VLC media player" but no matter how I try to reach that file it doesnt work. I cant rename, move it. Is it some special space they have used between?

tried:
    rename "VLC media player" "vlc"
    mv "VLC media player" "vlc"

Arrrgh soon my head will explode from sheer frustration :p

paranoiid, Feb 10, 2009
  8. paranoiid

SirWilliam

Sounds like an interesting problem to me...

from your solving attempts i think you know how to handle terminal commands...

i am doing a quick runthru now... whenever i say vi i mean a texteditor...pick one you like...
    i am doing it with vlc as example

i have located the vlc in the fun directory...now the basically only thing to do is to edit this file and you will get the resulst you want, her we go stepwise:
    Find the *.desktopfile in /usr/share/applications/
    Code:
    cd /usr/share/applications/
    ls | grep -i "vlc"

In my case it will return
    Code:
    vlc.desktop
    Move/copy your iconfile (should be larger then 96*96 for nicer look) myicon.png to /usr/share/pixmaps/ (Ensure you have root priveleges)
    myicon.png is stored in my home-dir, so
    Code:
    cd ~ <or the location your icon is in>
    sudo cp myicon.png /usr/share/pixmaps/

Edit your
    Code:
    /home/user/.config/xfce4/desktop/group-app.xml
    Find the section you want to have your icon in. Be sure you do not use a sequence number twice. It'll crash your system!
    Now you can set the link to the application you want (it's in my fun-dir, sequ. 1):
    Code:
    <group>
           <id>7</id>
           <sequence>6</sequence>

[...]

<app sequence="1" icon="myicon.png" name="VLC">/usr/share/applications/vlc.desktop</app>

[...]

</group>

You can do that with every other app as well, but remember to do regular back-ups...if the system crashes...you should always be able to restore....

I hope that helped...

Greetings

SirWilliam, Feb 12, 2009
  9. paranoiid

Rickster1978

Has anyone managed to get a Spotify icon on their Linpus Lite desktop yet??

I've done it for VLC and GIMP but cant seem to get the spotify one to work. I can't see the program file in the share/applications directory.

I'm a complete Linux Newbie so any help would be appreciated.

Rickster1978, May 6, 2009
  10. paranoiid

hogger84

Yes
    {create = making a text file with mouspad or similar}

first create .spotifylaunch.sh in /home/user/ with the following lines; (nb initial . makes it hidden)
    Code:
    #! /bin/sh
    cd '/home/user/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Spotify'
    wine spotify.exe
    then still in /home/user/ create spotify.desktop with following line;
    Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Type=Application
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Name=Spotify
    GenericName=Spotify
    Comment=Spotify
    Icon=spotify.png
    Exec=sh /home/user/.spotifylaunch.sh
    Terminal=false
    Categories=Application;AudioVideo;
    then modify the group-app.xml to have the line
    Code:
    <app sequence="6">/home/user/spotify.desktop</app>
    I know it seems to be redundant but it was the only way I could do it

hogger84, May 28, 2009
  11. paranoiid

larkim

Interesting - I'll be using that.

Given that Spotify (and many other apps) end up on the "advanced" (i.e. right click) program menu, is there any way of making those entries appear easily on the linpus desktop? Where is this menu structure (the right click menu) stored? I'd like to adjust it quite a lot as there are some oddities in terms of where their installers have put them.

I'll definitely be using the spotify.desktop creation method above - thanks!

Matt

larkim, Jun 29, 2009
  12. paranoiid

larkim

Replying to my own post here.

There is no need to create a Spotify.desktop file - there's already one there. Its just its not in the user/share/application folder.

In a console as root I used
    Code:
    find . -name *.desktop > home/user/Documents/desktops.txt
    This created a text file in my Documents folder which reported all of the .desktop files on the netbook. I suspected there must be some as there were apps in my rightclick menu which didn't appear in the /share/application folder. And lo and behold, there was one for Spotify.

Copied the path (excluding the preceding ".") into te group-apps.xml file and now have Spotify on the desktop.

HTH!

Matt

larkim, Jun 29, 2009
  13. paranoiid

sgtslwilson

if the .desktop file is already there, put the Spotify icon iin the usr/share/pixmaps folder. Name it spotify.png....

Then use the DCA command. I use Macles example to do this . I had to make a .desktop file for my scanner. I used the Skype.destop as a template. I added an icon in the user share pixmaps folder...made sure that my scanner program was in the /user/bin folder and then used the dca add command.

Hope this help

Lance

sgtslwilson, Jul 3, 2009
  14. paranoiid

wollac

There are number of problems that get throw up on differnt machines but i had found a way to get it 2 work flawlessly everytime with a better ion to!
    Here is what you have to do:
    1. press alt+f2 to bring up a run program window
    2. type: sudo mouspad and press run or hit enter/return. This will then open new mousepad document with root priviallges
    3. type: “#!/bin/sh” (without quotes) then press enter
    4. leave this window open and launch the file manager
    5. open the desktop folder and right click on the spotify shorcut.
    6. choose properties and go to the launcher tab
    7. copy the contents of the “Command:” field and past it into the new line (that you will already be on – the second line) of the mousepad document you left open/
    8. now choose file then save as.
    9. in the name feild type: /usr/bin/spotify and press save
    10. now you need to open a terminal window and type: sudo thunar /usr/bin
    11. find the file called spotify, right click on it and press properties
    12. go to the permissions tab and tick the “Allow this file to be run as a program box”
    13. change “Others:” to read and write and press close
    14. close the usr/bin window and return to the terminal
    15. type: sudo thunar /usr/share/applications
    16. minimise this window and open the desktop folder again and copy the spotify shortcut.
    17. go back to the file window we opened with the terminal (usr/share/applications) and paste it.
    18. now right click on it choose properites and go to the launch tab.
    19. put “Spotify” as the description (without quotes) and “spotify” as the command (also without quotes) Then in the comment right the description of spotify you want to appear in the ballon when u hover over it (something like “Listen to any music, legal and free!”)
    20. now press close and open the Spotify file in mousepad (by right click then open with then open with mousepad)
    21. On the line with “ion=” remove all the text on that line after icon= and type: “Spotify” (without the quotes) after the “=” instead of the old icon location.
    22. then save the changes (ctrl+s) and close the window then the file window to and return to the terminal. Now type: wget http://rocketdock.com/images/screenshots/Spotify-3.png and hit enter.
    23. when it is done type: cp Spotify-3.png /usr/share/pixmaps/Spotify and hit enter.
    24.now type: dca add 12 “file=’/usr/share/applications/Spotify.desktop’” (including all quotes) and press enter.
    25. YOUR DONE! go to your desktop press the more button on the Fun catorgory (the bottom left one if u hav renamed it like me) and you should find a spotify shortcut with an improved icon! you can now drag this to a position of your choice and if you love spotify as much as me you’ll want it in your top 3!

hope this helps u guys :)

wollac, Sep 2, 2009
  15. paranoiid

Neva

I read elsewhere on these forums that the desktop icons should have an icon (png, xpm) and a version specification in the .desktop file, so that xfce window manager doesn't crash when adding new icons to the config file.

I have a working Spotify icon added, my spotify.desktop looks like this:
    -------------------------
    [Desktop Entry]
    Name=Spotify
    Comment=Spotify streaming music player via WINE
    Exec=/usr/bin/wine /mnt/home/Files/Ohjelmatiedostot/Spotify/spotify.exe
    Icon=/mnt/home/.local/share/icons/4385_spotify.0.xpm
    Terminal=0
    Type=Application
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Categories=Network;Application;
    Version=0.3.23