Spare parts (Keyboard)

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by cayde, Sep 16, 2008.

1. cayde

cayde

I bought an Aspire One recent and lo and behold I spilled a bowl of cereal and milk on to it after a very long night of netboot installation. (Don't stay up late and hack, if you must don't drink or eat around your laptop). The laptop still boots into Xbuntu, but keyboard repeatedly emits several keys. My guess is to replace the keyboard. Is there any Acer authorized dealer on this forum willing to order me a keyboard. I am not in a hurry, because I already bought another A1. Apparently PCWorld would charge me even more than the price I bought it for.

Thank you

C.

cayde, Sep 16, 2008
  2. cayde

ipearl

Place Keyboard in the dish washer.
    =D

what color is urs ? Do you plan to part out parts of it ???

ipearl, Sep 17, 2008
  3. cayde

DiSK

I hope that you are kidding. O.O

Ouch. Sorry to hear that your keyboard got...owned. I know a couple of really large suppliers in Canada, but none of them have keyboards. Apparently Acer won't let anyone besides them have them. You're outta luck...Maybe buy one of those flexi-USB keyboards? Or use parts from yours to do repairs on others? Haha.

Good luck!
    -DiSK

DiSK, Sep 17, 2008
  4. cayde

Daijoubu

Unplug it and rince it with water, let it dry a whole day?

Daijoubu, Sep 17, 2008
  5. cayde

cayde

Well, it is blue. Which seems to be the only color that they have for the SDD version at least in Glasgow. I think might just unplug the keyboard and ask the local print shop to cut a piece of sticker to cover the hole. I think I might be able to use it as a printer server of some sorts, until I can find a keyboard. I can try to rewire the board myself. I have to be patience to hope that one day some poor sods to drop his A1 and sell the carcass one of these forums. Thanks for the funny responses and please continue to post if you have more information about this.

C.

cayde, Sep 17, 2008
  6. cayde

cayde

Why does it have to replaced with keyboard? Why can't i just find the smallest tablet or anythings that will fit into the space left by the keyboard. Rather than dealing with added problems of touch screen by not buying a digitizer board, which is already abundant in the market. I had owned one of these before, the actually writing area might even be small enough to fit, but I am not really sure what kinda space would it require for the daughter board that processes the writing. Logitech Dinovo Mini + Bluetooth Adapter, would also be useful for on the go typing.

cayde, Sep 17, 2008
  7. cayde

ipearl

Unplug and rinse it the whole day or two untill 100% dry.
    If its FDA EU etc etc approved then it should stand water w/o problem.
    Technicly you can place standard keyboard into a dish washer and wash it and let it dry.
    And the keyboard has no major electronics components besides the key stroke sensors.
    And those parts are robust. So rinse in warm water with lil soap and dry and you be fine.

ipearl, Sep 17, 2008
  8. cayde

ph_leung

I'd warn against putting the keyboard into the dishwasher. You need to be careful if the washer has a heating unit. Most washers here in North America do. The temperature at the bottom rack can get very high. That's why some plastic dishes or containers say "Dishwasher Safe - Top drawer". I have accidentally dropped plastic dishes to the bottom wash rack and they've deformed. You wouldn't want to melt your keyboard.

It may be safer to do it by hand.

ph_leung, Sep 17, 2008
  9. cayde

ipearl

Yeah forgot to mention turn off the heat rince cycle.
    Or do it by hand.

ipearl, Sep 17, 2008
  10. cayde

brufi

Why dont ask Acer Support directly.
    When I neededa keyboard for my Travelmate 3002 they offered my 2 alternatives: Send it in or have a spare sent to you if you want to install yourself.
    Should be the same in the UK.
    In Germany the autorised reseller of spares is
    MK-Computer Electronic
    Heilbronnerstrasse 11
    73037 Goeppingen
    +49 7161 6066170
    [email protected]

If a german layout is better than none, give them a try. Theymight evenget their hand on different layouts.

brufi, Sep 19, 2008
  11. cayde

soak it in rubbing alchol or distilled water and let it dry standing up

7808, Sep 19, 2008
Ask a Question