Soon new aspire owner

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Janiz, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Janiz

Janiz

Hi guys

I just ordered Acer Aspire One A150-X and now waiting for it and i just would like to say hi to all and that i am joining this forum too :D I'll try to be active writing here :D

Janiz, Oct 12, 2008
  2. Janiz

csmo

Welcome, Janiz.

I just joined this community myself. It seems like we´re in good hands here. Lots of nice and helpful people. :)

Remember to come back and tell us all about your experiences with your new A150 when it arrives.

Don´t be a stranger!

~csmo

csmo, Oct 13, 2008
  3. Janiz

keef319

Hi all,

I'm expecting delivery of mine any time soon! So hello everyone, looks like I'll get lots of help on here when I need it!!

Decided to replace my Archos 705, which although was good for watching movies, rarely connected to public wifi hotspots etc. So the AAO will mean I can watch films, surf, chat etc!!!

Looking forward to it!!!

Keef

keef319, Oct 14, 2008
  4. Janiz

csmo

Hi, Keef, and welcome to you too.

Yeah, it´s dreadful isn´t it, the waiting time he he. I´m also expecting mine anytime soon. I´ve ordered the A150 XP 120 HDD (will delete XP and use Linpus and/or Ubuntu instead). What model did you order?

csmo, Oct 14, 2008
  5. Janiz

keef319

lol.

we should swap. I've ordered the Linux version, A150L, to save £30. But I'm going to install XP as I already have the disk for that.

keef319, Oct 14, 2008
  6. Janiz

Janiz

Hi there again guys!

Still waiting for my AAO and if i am lucky i get it tomorrow :D I'll tell all thing about that and hope you do the same when you get yours :D replaying as soon as possible.

Janiz, Oct 14, 2008
  7. Janiz

csmo

Just got mine. It looks and feels great, the screen, keyboard, wi-fi, all is fine. However, I´m not impressed with the noise. Unless it´s normal to hear an ongoing humming noise which can be heard up to 15 feet away I´m probably returning it and either getting a replacement (if I dare) or perhaps just getting an Asus netbook instead. I´m at my wits end and will try to search for some answers somewhere.

Hope you guys have better luck!

csmo, Oct 15, 2008
  8. Janiz

keef319

Mine isn't that loud...Yeah there's a fan on the go but I don't notice it that much, and certainly not from 15ft away!

Get it sorted, but stick with the AAO...great little netbook.

keef319, Oct 15, 2008
  9. Janiz

lcramdoo

I received mine yesterday, Brown 6 cell/160GB XP. It seems to be hit or miss with everyone as far as the fan goes because mine is almost silent, you have to put your ear up to it to actually hear it running. I also had the carrying sleeve included with mine, which from all the other posts I've read about the 6 cell none have included them...weird. I ended up ordering mine from a store in Canada on ebay and have the international keyboard, so maybe it's assembled in a different location or something. Overall I love it though, no issues to report yet!

lcramdoo, Oct 15, 2008
  10. Janiz

Dave in Eugene

Orderd a second one a few days ago for one of the girs to use for college. She liked the price and portability, doesn't need an extra bag for it. She had been renting a full size Vaio laptop and the AAO will lighten her load.

Ordered from CDW, white 6 cell same as mine. Apparently they have a warehouse at North Las Vegas & though the website shows not in stock they are shipping from there, so it took only 2 days to get.

Dave in Eugene, Oct 15, 2008
  11. Janiz

Janiz

Got my aspire today and i gotta say this is very good :D Only thing is there is too much "crap" on this computer but it can be removed easily :D

Janiz, Oct 15, 2008
  12. Janiz

csmo

Got another AAO a few days ago (returned the first one A150 120 gb HDD XP due to too much heat and high fan noise). This time I ordered the A110 8 gb Linux model without a HDD in the hope that it would be less noisy and warm. Well, it is. But still (without a fan control script) the fan is still making more noise than any of my other computers are making. I will play around with this one for a day or two and probably return it again. I'm not sure. It IS still rather appealing despite its flaws. So I might keep it around just for the fun of it. At this point, I don't know.

In my opinion, Acer has done a nice job with this little Acer One, it's just not there yet. If you are looking for something reliable, stay clear of this, I guess, is my modest, unscientific conclusion after having tried two different models (from two different companies--eliminating any thoughts of a "bad batch"), which both have issues with too much heating and noisy fans. Also, the fan scripts out there which work (in the sense that they either kill the fan or make it working on different conditions than what Acer had in mind) still remain to be seen whether they're actually a safe solution or not. So far, the AAO has been in the market for less than a year. Only time will tell.

Lastly, just to be clear, I'm in no way trying to put the AAO down in any way. I'm really a fan (ha ha no pun intended) of the Acer netbook, but I'd rather wait for the next AAO generation and hope they have fixed those aforementioned issues in the meantime if I need to be dependent on my netbook. I really dig the AAO and believe something better is to come. We'll see.

csmo, Oct 25, 2008
  13. Janiz

keef319

Seems weird to me as i've had no probs with a noisy fan. And a colleague of mine has the same model and his is fine. :?

keef319, Oct 25, 2008
  14. Janiz

Janiz

tbh I dont have any kind of problems with my AAO. Yes i have to admit that fan is "little" noisy but not too noisy to handle :) and my AAO is usually around 42°C and in idle arounds 33-37 °C.

Janiz, Oct 25, 2008
  15. Janiz

Chicago_Jake

Hi Gang, I'm also a new Aspire One owner; just got it yesterday, and I'm loving it. Hope to be an active member of this forum, so, nice to meet you all! :D

Re: fan noise, mine is virtually silent all the time. I think the noise problem is only on the XP/Hard Drive models. My Linux/SSD model is quiet as a mouse.

See you all around!......Jake :ugeek:

Chicago_Jake, Oct 26, 2008
  16. Janiz

SirrahTech

Acer Aspire One has to be one of the worst things I have EVER brought!

I purchased mine yesterday from Tesco, its going back there tomorrow.

Never will buy anything Acer again. NEVER!!!

The TV Ad and the promoting of this product is misleading and Trading Standards will be hearing about it first thing on Monday Morning!

Mike

SirrahTech, Oct 26, 2008
  17. Janiz

Chicago_Jake

Wow, Mike. Care to explain what you don't like about it?.......Jake

18. Janiz

SirrahTech

Believe me, I have spent 3 hours + Looking and playing, and its just brain numbing.
    Im so disapointed, the TV ad makes it look like something worth having, its not, its mis-marketed.
    As its not fit for the purpose, and it doesnt do what it says on the box.

The Instructions just tell you how to turrn it on about the applications, its not user friendly, especially when you're used to windows and the LACK of instructions is VERY frustrating.

Its in the box ready to go back, and Acer have had an email too!!

SirrahTech, Oct 26, 2008
  19. Janiz

Chicago_Jake

Sounds like somebody didn't do enough research. Sorry you were mislead......Jake

20. Janiz

SirrahTech

Oh I did my research alright... I read all about it... its just totaly disapointing when you open the box and turn it on.
    I'll be making sure my clients and customers know to avoid it.

SirrahTech, Oct 26, 2008
Ask a Question