Something went wrong and your pin number....& now I can't do anything!!

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by B Wallace, May 28, 2024.

1. B Wallace

B Wallace

Hi,
    Thankyou for reading this and any help would be appreciated.
    The other day I got,'Something happened and your pin isn't available, click to set up your pin again'.
    I've researched this problem but to no avail. Basically the 'set up pin' does nothing at all and I mean nothing.
    Then there's a key motif for another account. I clicked on this and apparently have another account which I never use, had forgotten about and of course no longer no the pin number for.
    Everyone seemed to suggested going into repair mode, hold shift power up and down three times and bingo! Repair mode pops up, then go to command prompt but as soon as I do the box of the old account pops up asking for the pin number which of course I don't have.
    I have put the computer into safe mode thinking this might make a difference but the start up screen is the same telling me that 'something went wrong etc' but just in big letters etc.
    I'm not sure what to try next, any ideas of how I can get into the system at all?

Thanks for taking the time for reading this and any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks again.

B Wallace, May 28, 2024
  2. B Wallace

Invictus

Hello!

If you don't see "Change my PIN option" select "Sign in options" and password and enter with your Microsoft account password.

If you see the option to change your PIN, then select it and follow the instructions.

Hope this helps!

Invictus, May 31, 2024
  3. B Wallace

B Wallace

Hi,
    Thanks for your reply,
    There is a change your pin option but it doesn't do anything when clicked on and this apparently is common.
    The thing is when I then go to sign in options it takes me to an old account which must be administration password I imagine and the diary with that password I no longer have so I'm stuck in a loop here.
    Question:
    I'm thinking of make a bootable windows 10 USB and if I can change the boot drive and boot from that to get into the system, what do you think? Any advice on that one?

Thanks for your reply by the way.

B Wallace, Jun 3, 2024
  4. B Wallace

Invictus

Hello!

What you should make is live usb, not bootable one. How to make it, please follow this guide:

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-run-windows-10-from-a-usb-drive

That way you can save your important files on an external usb drive or hard disk. Please note, do not use usb pendrive over 32GB or you laptop might not recognise it.

You didn't mention the model of you laptop. Please google what key you should press on the keyboard to change the boot order. Usually those keys are: ESC, F10, F12 or DELL.

Invictus, Jun 4, 2024
Ask a Question