[SOLVED] UNKNOWN keyboard language after OS update

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by within, Jul 31, 2008.

1. within

within

------ edit ------
    see post n°4 in this thread for fix 100% working for FR, CA and BE.

Hi there,

Yesterday I've received the blue Aspire One.
    First selected at 1st startup my language (FRench) and then updated Linpus with provide tool in Parameters tab.

Also applied the hack to get the desktop menu of XFCE and installed VLC, skype and amarok.

Today, I've seen language icon shows UNKNOWN instead of FR.
    I've tried SCIM configuration and saw it was chinese selected. I've changed back to Frenc, but nothing changed to my keyboard.

I don't know what's wrong, if I did something I shouldn't (apparently not), but that's for sure this is a problem I can't use my keybaord as it is hardware made (FRench).

Some help might be very useful,
    Thanks,
    within

PS: I've tried the "yum install xfce4-xkb-plugin" command and I had some dependencies issues (I've ticked all repositories expect sources related)
    PS2: I'v tried the edit the file "/usr/bin/xkb_plugin_set_xorg.sh" and modify the last "XkbLayout" entry but it was already fr.
    PS3: I've tried full software update (from xfce desktop menu -> system) but it was impossible due to long list of a dependencies issue.
    PS4: command in terminal "setxkbmap fr" works but this is something that does not fix the keyboard language icon and it has to be done at every boot, so this is not a fix for me because I want things fixed not temporary.

within, Jul 31, 2008
  2. within

Alfyboy

Re: UNKNOWN keyboard language after OS update

Sorry I don't have the answer, but i can confirm this on the Latinamerican Spanish layout of the key board. Is there anyone who can help us?
    Is a pity that Acer is releasing updates that break the configuration of versions which aren't English keyboard layout. :cry:
    People buy these machines with Linux preinstaled to not have to worry about these issues. It is supoussed to work out of the box :x (well... it did until I had the bright idea of updating, and i have not touched the repos config!!!!!!!!)

Alfyboy, Jul 31, 2008
  3. within

Sid

Sid, Jul 31, 2008
  4. within

within

Re: UNKNOWN keyboard language after OS update

Hi There,

Acer/Linux Team has released 3 new patches today, one for CAnadian, one for BElgium and one for FRench keybard layout.

After update (done 15 seconds ago :mrgreen: ) my keyboard layout is back and working in 100% FRench!!!

I'd like to thank all people here for kind support and messages to help n00bs around like me. Congrats go also to Acer/Linux Team which seems to be really fast to fix issues like that.

Cheers,
    within (happy AA1 user :) )

within, Jul 31, 2008
  5. within

Alfyboy

Good it is solved for the French version. But the LATAM Spanish one is still broke. :cry:

Alfyboy, Jul 31, 2008
  6. within

within

@ Alfyboy:

sorry to read that m8.
    hope they will fix this usse for every other language soon.

within, Aug 1, 2008
  7. within

Alan

Wanting en_BR

I am a Linux beginner from square one, so many thanks to all contributors who brought me to here.
    I am a UK user, my new machine has a UK keyboard. Out of the box the keyboard selected is en_US showing the EN icon. Symbols are on the wrong buttons, the UK currency symbol although marked is not delivered.
    As su in etc/sysconfig , mousepad i18n . It is clear this is effective in the first two lines. Then follows a list of allowed language values. There are two for en_US and an en . There is no en_GB nor similar. I tried en and on reboot the kb delivered US . There is another file i18n.en which contained a copy, kind Linpus, to restore the first.
    I would appreciate advice to get British English off the kb .
    Is there a keyboard map that can be edited, or is there a text revision ?
    Is there a keyboard technique to type asii numbers for each character, like Alt 065 ?

Alan, Aug 28, 2008
Ask a Question