[SOLVED] Post ram upgrade troubles (connectors)

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Wicked, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Wicked

Wicked

[EDIT : thanks to high resolution pictures of the connectors published in this forum I've been able to figure out how to put back the black clip on the keyboard connector. Be VERY careful when trying to add ram yourself, everything inside the one is tiny and fragile]

Hey,

So, two messages in one,

=-=-= NEED HELP =-=-=
    I might have broken the keyboard and mouse cable thingies, I have no idea... I unplugged them by pulling on the blue plastic thing hard, leaving the black part on the board and now the black part doesn't stay in place and I'm just putting the cable back by sliding it under the black part and hoping that it doesn't move. My enter key and some keys next to it don't work anymore... so I think the keyboard cable isn't correctly attached, I've tried many times with the same result. Is it broken or how is that supposed to stay in place ?

=-=-= The whole story for those thinking about getting a one and upgrading the ram themselves =-=-=

So I got my one two days ago, tried it for a while, got all my usual apps running (skype, quanta plus, deluge, gftp, firefox 3, tilda) and the original amount of ram showed it's limits, the thing became unusable. Fair enough, the result was the same with my normal laptop with 512mb of ram running Fedora and adding one gig solved all the problems. So time to do that with the one too.

And now my troubles begin... I've built desktop computers without a problem, with strong cables and big screws but the aspire one has none of that... tiny screws, -a lot of them- and cables I had never seen before and didn't know how to unplug properly (howtos don't help). I somehow managed to put the ram and put everything back together, booted to see that everything worked well, but then noticed that the motherboard wasn't properly set on the case and the power socket wasn't facing the hole anymore... So back to unscrewing everything again...

Now, the motherboard was fine, everything seemed to be in its place... I boot up to see the screen stuck at 800x480.
    Nice... I take it appart again, unplug replug the screen a few times until it works normaly again.

Then I notice my right mouse button doesn't work, or sometimes...

But my biggest problem is my keyboard isn't functionning correctly anymore... I lost my enter key and some of the keys directly next to it (which in my case are asterisk, dollar sign and equal sign)

I'm very disappointed, why the hell didn't acer put a door on the bottom of the case to upgrade the ram easily !?

Wicked, Aug 2, 2008
  2. Wicked

Mark83

Re: Post ram upgrade troubles (Keyboard and mouse mostly)

did you just pull at the blue plastic thing? You have to open the black part on the board first! You can flip it an pull the cable out easily.
    If you didn't do that you should try to disassemble your AAO again, open the black thing and then try to position the cables correctly. The cables have a black line which should end directly at the black thing on the board

Mark83, Aug 2, 2008
  3. Wicked

fuzz

If you look really carefully where the cable reaches the connector, there's a dark coloured piece of plastic on top. On either end of that is a tiny tap, get a small screwdriver under that and gently flip it up. (I thought it was the other type that slides rather than flips, so I managed to break it off, but it clipped back in ok).
    when you put the ribbon cable back in, check that it's properly seated, it should fit in just right. Then, flip the dark bit down, and if it's in correctly the ribbon cable should be really difficult to pull out.
    good luck!

fuzz, Aug 2, 2008
  4. Wicked

Wicked

Ok thanks, now I know how it's supposed to work... and it doesn't seem broken so maybe I'll manage to put all that back the way it's supposed to be.

Wicked, Aug 2, 2008
  5. Wicked

Wicked

@ fuzz

Ok I tried again... The touchpad connector is fine, I flipped the black part open, put the cable and flipped it shut. No problem with that anymore.

But the black thing that goes on the keyboard connector is loose and I don't know how to put it back, it doesn't stay in place.
    I've tried to hold all that in place with tape but it doesn't stay in place... the enter key worked again but after I put all the screws back the keyboard stopped working correctly...

If someone could show me a close up picture of that thing the way it's supposed to be, or tell me how to clip it back in or something. My poor nerves -_-

Wicked, Aug 2, 2008
Ask a Question