sole overheating dell inspiron 1764 with removable heat sink

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by papa_jon_81, Jul 15, 2012.

1. papa_jon_81

papa_jon_81

i have a dell inspiron 1764 with an overheating issue. from what i understand it is a common issue with this model. most users it seems have to take their laptops apart every 6 months or so to clean out the fan area, i do too. i want to add a fan to the outside to force air through a filter before it enters the laptop, that way i can just keep cleaning that. i have the extended life battery, so i have some space to work. the only reason i haven't yet is because i can't find a housing material that looks right. ideally i want a plastic that looks like the rest of the case. not having materials, this mod on hold.

the mod i'm thinking about doing now is cutting a hole in the back of the casing diagonal from the fan. i want to add an aluminum plate that will sit directly on the back of the heat sink. i will then mod my homemade lap top lap holder whose primary design function is to raise the laptop high enough to reduce strain on my neck. i can add an old heatsink laying around so that it lays directly on the plate and draws out the heat. possibly add a fan, whatever.
    ins17649.jpg ins176e6.jpg
    (photos from service manual, ignore numbers and blue arrows)

i worry about the crushing forces my laptop routinely endures in my bag as i walk about town. i worry that the plate could press on the processor and crack the motherboard. i also worry about any electric shock that could travel across the plate and directly fry the processor. before i do this mod i need a smarter guy than i to tell me my fears are unrealistic, or easily alleviated with adding a simple step.

papa_jon_81, Jul 15, 2012
Ask a Question