software isn't working correctly

Discussion in 'Linux' started by bobkat, Dec 24, 2008.

1. bobkat

bobkat

I sent my acer one to acer in Texas to hbe reformatted. It came back a couple of days ago and I can't get the menu that I used to get when I right click on the desktop. Without this I can't get at a lot of programs including "add and delete programs".

The other problem is one I have always had. when I try to add a program it says that there is no room on the disk.The file manager says that there are 5.3 gigabytes free on My Disk but most of it is apparently on the 8g SD in the left side slot. In other words it is not integrating the left slot SD card.

I am really new with linux and struggling. I called acer support and after an hour of being on hold the "techncian" said that he couldn't help me. They weren't trained to know that stuff.

bobkat, Dec 24, 2008
  2. bobkat

bobkat

I got the desktop working but I still can't get the SSDto work with the SD. I thiught it would work after it was reformatted but it won't use the SD. Also, why is the 8 Gb SSD so full when almost no programs have been added?

bobkat, Dec 27, 2008
  3. bobkat

Andysan

If you have no data on the One, maybe try restoring it from the DVD?

Not sure what the problem is with the SD card, am i right in saying that the file manager sees the free space on the SD card but won't make any use of it? I assume the lock on the side of the card isn't in the "locked" position?

I no longer run Linpus, but from memory the OS itself take up between 1GB and 2GB, plus there is 1GB of swap partition where page files are moved out of RAM when necessary. Coupled with the fact that the disk isn't quite 8GB (no disk is ever as large as advertised) you're probably nearly upto 30%-50% used space already.

Andysan, Dec 27, 2008
  4. bobkat

cinijast

on the home page click the my files thing and when the file manager opens, press file and select terminal , type "xfce-settings-show" without the quotations when a menu pops up press desk top go to the second tab and select the box that says , show advanced desktop on right click , close it and you should have your right cliky desktopy thing back . Could a mod move this to the right section :) thanks and hope this helps and, any probs email me :)

cinijast, Dec 31, 2008
Ask a Question