So many choices...

Discussion in 'Linux' started by heathenlife, Jan 27, 2009.

1. heathenlife

heathenlife

This is probably going to sound redundant to some users here so I apologize in advance but I have a dilemma. I recently bought an AAO which came with XP Home, Intel Atom chip, 8GB SSD (with 8GB expansion) and 1GB Ram. Well right out of the box I removed XP Home and installed XP Fundamentals so instead of taking up 4GB of real estate it only took up 1GB. Anyway, the more I'm using it the more I am realizing I DO NOT need Windows. I currently run Ubuntu on another laptop of mine and also OS X on an iMac. I want to put a version of Linux on my new netbook but can't really figure out which one is going to give me the best results with the least about of headaches/space as far as reading hardware goes. Also, I'm not a fan of the big icon versions like Easy Peasy or Ubuntu Remix. Any input is very much appreciated. LinuxMint is pretty sharp looking as is Linpus Lite. Has anyone run into any issues with either of these?

heathenlife, Jan 27, 2009
  2. heathenlife

Jepser

I'm using Linux Mint. The two things that doesn't work out of the box is the wifi and the wifi led. I haven't thought about the led but the wifi is easily fixed. There's more than one thread that describe how easily it's done : )

Jepser, Jan 27, 2009
  3. heathenlife

heathenlife

Thank you, I managed to find a few reviews and info on Mint so I think I'm going to go with that. Thanks for the reply!

heathenlife, Jan 27, 2009
  4. heathenlife

Reno

Have you checked out Kuki Linux?
    Head over to their website http://www.kuki.me/
    You may be pleasantly surprised by what you find.

Reno, Jan 28, 2009
  5. heathenlife

azz2811

i think that the plain ubuntu is very easy to understand. all you have to do is install sickboy's kernel and everything works fine

azz2811, Jan 28, 2009
  6. heathenlife

heathenlife

I took a look at that but the download page seems to be down. No worries, I installed Mint last night and all I had to do was install the Windows driver for the wireless after the initial install and all is running perfect now. I'm very pleased with the performance and design of Mint so I'll be sticking with it for a while.

heathenlife, Jan 28, 2009
  7. heathenlife

heathenlife

Mint is a variant of Ubuntu. I've been using Ubuntu on another laptop of mine for a while and as much as I like it, I think Mint is more appealing. To each their own though.

heathenlife, Jan 28, 2009
Ask a Question