So are the problems cured yet - or not?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by blackflag, Dec 13, 2008.

1. blackflag

blackflag

What happens when you try to get warranty service on it?

blackflag, Jan 3, 2009
  2. blackflag

jjj

I contacted the Acer UK customer service people & they asked me to re-load all the software on the machine, using the recovery disk.

Sounds like a complete time waster to me, as the process of loading the software onto the machine originally should be automated, therefore it should all be loaded.

jjj, Jan 3, 2009
  3. blackflag

blackflag

That's bullshit.

blackflag, Jan 7, 2009
  4. blackflag

jjj

Ah, so Acer don't have an automated process that ensures the software is loaded & I have to fix the damn problem by re loading the software myself? A little unsatisfactory.

More to the point, has anyone ever fixed the problems for good by reloading the software with the rescue disks?

jjj, Jan 7, 2009
  5. blackflag

jerryt

Got a A1 150 1G 160G 6cell XP machine for xmas. Wifi worked great until it was on battery then it would drop the connection.

These steps do appear to have corrected the problem. Because it is rock solid now.
    1) Updated BIOS to 3305
    2) Updated Atheros drivers to 7.6.1.149
    3) In device manager for the Atheros, set power mode to "Off".

I consider these an easy fix.

jerryt, Jan 7, 2009
  6. blackflag

heckufaguy

I'm sure many, including acer will say, then buy the competition.
    Many people have posted they have ZERO problems (myself included) with their wifi. Yet, you're still not happy.
    As someone who's worked on many different networks for folks, add in the factor that some of these people may just not have a clue about wifi or networking.
    Dont buy an Acer, there have been other bigger laptops for the money or less, get one of those.
    Then, join their forums.

heckufaguy, Jan 12, 2009
  7. blackflag

WoodyWoodPecker

Mine are version 7.6.0.260 for the drivers. Where did you find the later drivers ?

WoodyWoodPecker, Jan 12, 2009
  8. blackflag

jerryt

How to flash the Bios...
    http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/07/flashing-bios.html

Where to download the 7.6.1.149 drivers...
    http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/NETWOR ... 1149.shtml

jerryt, Jan 12, 2009
  9. blackflag

WoodyWoodPecker

Thanks for the links but when I try the link for the driver I get 404 not found error.I think my Bios is already at 3305 but I'll check.

10. blackflag

jerryt

I fixed the link, try again.

jerryt, Jan 12, 2009
  11. blackflag

WoodyWoodPecker

Still no go but thanks for the effort ! :? I already have the 3305 bios i checked.

12. blackflag

WoodyWoodPecker

I think I've found it on another site. I'll update later to let people know how it works !

WoodyWoodPecker, Jan 13, 2009
  13. blackflag

jackluo923

Don't you guys think this is a hardware issue with the AAO itself?

Asus EEE pc has the same wifi card and the same OS, but "asus'" wife works.

I believe this shows a problem on the 5v rail of the powersupply when AAO is connected to the battery.
    Here are the scenarios:
    Most of the time, the wifi only disconnects when it's on battery.
    Most of the time, when playing mp3 at max volume for a extended amount of time on battery power, the computer locks or gets BSOD
    The screen flickers (or used to flicker before acer disabled the lowest brightness mode) on battery mode
    A solid colored full screen image would appear on the desktop (assuming it's vga failure) on battery mode while the computer remains responsive.
    etc

jackluo923, Jan 13, 2009
  14. blackflag

jerryt

My best guess is that for me it was software, because upgrading BIOS, Drivers and settings have corrected the problem. Receiption is still weak and so my next upgrade will be the intel n wifi card with an external antenna.

But for some people it may be hardware related. Hopefully not the 5v bus, because that would be a motherboard change.

jerryt, Jan 13, 2009
  15. blackflag

Spurious

Believe it or not, I'm very happy with linpus... I'm a windows user, and this is my first approach to linux. I even installed Fedora 9 on a PC and I discovered that it is easier to work with linpus... The only problem I had with the wifi is that the original acer's network manager doesn't have the WPA Enterprise option so I had to install IMSancho script for a new Network manager (NM) :p and it works perfect!... except, that when the ONE goes to sleep the connection is lost along with the NM, easily solved with alt-F2 and write sudo nm-applet, connection and NM working again. Besides that problem, software related, this machine works pretty handy!

Spurious, Feb 19, 2009
  16. blackflag

Jaden

Look at the bottom post in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1395&start=60

It tells you how to edit a script to prevent the NM from stopping after a sleep/resume - worked great for me.

If you can't get that working, write a little script with 'sudo nm-applet' and assign it to a keyboard shortcut using right click menu->Settings->Keyboard settings then you just hit that key combination (I had it set to CTRL+ALT+N), rather than having to type sudo etc every time.

J.

Jaden, Feb 19, 2009
Ask a Question