So are the problems cured yet - or not?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by blackflag, Dec 13, 2008.

1. blackflag

clee18

I bought one a couple of weeks ago, build date 8/08, and haven't had a single problem with wifi. It immediately connected, even with an older bios. Since, I've updated the bios to be safe and also turned off the power save mode, still not a single problem. I'm VERY happy with my purchase

BTW: I have the 160gb 6cell version

clee18, Dec 14, 2008
  2. blackflag

fbx

I have a WinXP 150 with 1G and a 160G drive adn the WIFI is fine. No problems. You may go ahead and purchase now.

fbx, Dec 14, 2008
  3. blackflag

lohtse

mine is the a150 with xp,120gig hd. and have had NO problems with wifi... infact would say is better than on my main laptop..

buy one you will NOT regret it.

regards
    Andrew

lohtse, Dec 14, 2008
  4. blackflag

jjj

Mine's built on 0808 also.
    I'm currently waiting for ACER to reply to an e-mail regarding my intermittent WiFi performance.
    I would check what the competition offer.

jjj, Dec 14, 2008
  5. blackflag

donec

It's not too much to ask but you will not get Acer to do anything about the WIFI not working if it doesn't work due to drivers or other software problems. They will tell you to contact the software people. This has been going on for years and will not change. The hardware for WIFI in the AAO works and does not have problems. That said there are some software problems with getting WIFI to work sometimes with Linpus the Linux distro that comes with the AAO Linux version. There are also reports that there are sometimes software problems with getting WIFI to work with XP even though it is preloaded on the AAO. There are also things that can interfere with the working of WIFI such as electronic interference. That is the status now and probably will not change. My WIFI works fine with Mandriva and it worked fine with Linpus I just didn't like Linpus myself. Note: I am still using the original BIOS.

donec, Dec 14, 2008
  6. blackflag

Xenophon

Try buying from a store that has a good return policy. I got mine at Costco (US) and they actually have a 90 day return policy. No issues with WiFi at all with A150/ZG5 model. Love this little amazing contraption.

Xenophon, Dec 14, 2008
  7. blackflag

blackflag

And there you have it...some people say they have problems, and some say they have none. This is bullshit. :?

blackflag, Dec 14, 2008
  8. blackflag

Markarian

I have so far not been able to maintain a stable Ad Hoc wifi connection with Vista. Just got the Brown 160GB last week. Tried five different drivers and updated to the new 3309 BIOS to no avail. Tried tweaking different settings and everything. I need adhoc to get online at work and if there's jk way to fix this, I'm probably going to have to sell my new A1 :(

Markarian, Dec 14, 2008
  9. blackflag

RockDoctor

Better advice you will not receive.

RockDoctor, Dec 15, 2008
  10. blackflag

jjj

Why not by an ASUS?
    If Acer can't be bothered to deliver a machine that's fully debugged & provide decent online guidance for the known issues, why continue to support them?

jjj, Dec 15, 2008
  11. blackflag

Tamrac

Correction.... there is NO wifi problems. Some experienced it, not all. It has been fixed by a BIOS update ages ago. So the newer ones you won't even need to flash the BIOS. Our group(photographic club) got almost a dozen AAO's of different flavors, and on different occasions. Not a single one had any problems about wifi. Most problems are USER errors, from inexperience since the AAO's price range attracts alot of 1st time laptop buyers. Cheers.

Tamrac, Dec 15, 2008
  12. blackflag

Markarian

It's cold and icy here where I live, so I welcome the flames headed your way. Come back to this forum when you have actual, useful advice on solving these technical issues.

Markarian, Dec 15, 2008
  13. blackflag

donec

You don't have to support them but you should understand that Acer is hardware only and as I have said that works. I quit supporting MS because I was not pleased with them. You can stop supporting Acer or anyone else if you want to. Just don't expect people that find the AAO a fine machine to go along with you.

donec, Dec 15, 2008
  14. blackflag

blackflag

From the forums, it seems about half and half. I mean, I love the machine...but it should either: a) work properly or b) get warranty service. There shouldn't be another option where people just 'live with it.' This is bullshit. :x

blackflag, Dec 15, 2008
  15. blackflag

solman

what makes the wireless card in the aa1 to be infallible to hardware failure? there have been plenty of people that have theirs fail.

"...if you use the right software," in other words, you're saying that it's all user error?

solman, Dec 15, 2008
  16. blackflag

donec

I did not say the AAO wireless card was infallible. Just that normally they work fine as hard ware and that is all Acer deals with. As far as I know the Mac is the only company that deals with both software and hardware for their machines.

I also did not say it was user error. The problems are probably a combination of people trying to make changes in a system that they are not yet used to and drivers for other distros not working properly for that particular distro. Throw in that some distros may not be setup to make good use of a given driver mixing that with OS updates that may not be as through as they should be and the occasional truly bad WIFI card and you have the current problem. None of which is Acer's fault or problem. If you can get the WIFI working by using a particular software then the problem is not Acer's and they should not be blamed. If you want to have a computer that the manufacture is responsible for all of it then buy a Mac, but don't expect it to be cheap.

Just pretend the computer came without an OS and do some research and find an OS that is reported to work with it and try it. Learn how to use it and you will find it is worth the effort. That is what I do and have done since before there was a Windows program and I am quite satisfied with the results.

donec, Dec 15, 2008
  17. blackflag

blackflag

Why would somebody do that when they paid for the software and the OS? You're making excuses and talking as if you're buying some white box motherboard or something...you're not. You're paying for a functioning system - software and all.

If you buy a laptop, you should be able to open it up, turn on the wifi, open a browser, and go. It's not that complicated, and anybody can do it. If you like to experiment and tinker and debug...that's great for you. But that's not what we paid for.

And as far as not taking responsibility for the software...if I buy an HP laptop, for example, and it doesn't function they way it's supposed to, they repair it under warranty. I don't care if it's hardware, software, new drivers, or whatever. The distinction of what is 'causing' the problem is really their issue, and not mine.

blackflag, Dec 15, 2008
  18. blackflag

Guest Guest

My Wifi worked right away no problems, does that mean it is fixed or atleast for me it was fixed

Guest, Dec 16, 2008
  19. blackflag

lankyjames

I have had my one not longer than a week, installed win xp as it came with linux on.

Used the drivers from acers website and wireless has worked flawlessly, never failed me.

lankyjames, Dec 17, 2008
  20. blackflag

blackflag

This is bullshit... :x

blackflag, Dec 19, 2008
Ask a Question