Small favor - please just compare your Add/Remove to this?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by maxeem, Feb 8, 2009.

1. maxeem

maxeem

Anyone please. This will just take a moment of your time.

Could any reader who wants to help, please go into their own Add/Remove Software program, activate their Applications > Sound and Video section and just give me a short list of the programs that have a check-mark by them. Maybe if I install those, however arbitrary they seem, it will restore functionality to my system?

Backstory:

I was getting rather arrogant after installing Skype, VLC, Opera and some other software with no issues and I went through the multimedia section of the Add/Remove software program and turned off some CD programs I thought I didn't need.

As a result, I have a very strange error as follows:

The graphic sound adjustment keys (toggle volume fn+F8 and fn+down fn+up for volume adjust) no longer adjust the volume. In addition, Skype has gone haywire and cannot post messages. And when I am connected to the Internet, the now permanently mute-appearing sound logo on the xfce bar is replaced with a white gap in the bar. It restores itself when I am back offline. I don't expect anyone to know what the heck is going on there. Obviously I did something wrong.

I'm hoping this does NOT require a system restore. Or should I just do it?

maxeem, Feb 8, 2009
  2. maxeem

Andysan

I would like to help, but what distro are you running? Linpus? I am running Ubuntu...

Andysan, Feb 9, 2009
  3. maxeem

solpuerto

Hi maxeem
    I hope the following helps. I have not changed anything under this heading, infact the Sound and Video was not even ticked on mine. One other comment Google "macles" and look at his blog, there is a nice routine to backup and restore your system to USB stick. This gives you the security to create a backup and then play about till your heart is content knowing that if all goes wrong you can restore to your last backup.

alsa-plugins
    bluez-utils-alsa
    cdparanoia
    codeina
    genisoimage
    gstreamer-plugins-good
    gstreamer-plugins-pulse
    icedax
    jack-audio-connection-kit
    mikmod
    pavucontrol
    pulseaudio