Slow DNS Lookup

Discussion in 'Linux' started by jsfritz, Aug 24, 2008.

1. jsfritz

jsfritz

Time for another one of these threads -- it seems like every distro's forums has one. I've encountered this on linux machines before.

DNS lookup is slow. nslookup fails 90% of the time, and browsing the web is painfully slow. I'm fairly certain the problem lies with DNS lookup at this point. I'm using the basic Linpus install.

Most people say that ipv6 is the culprit and to disable it. this is done by putting some lines into /etc/modprobe.conf.local to disable ipv6. however, /etc/modprobe.conf nor /etc/modprobe.conf.local do not exist. All I can find are /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf.dist -- can someone verify that this is Linpus's true modprobe local configuration file?

Although, considering my luck, I still won't have fast lookups after changing the conf.

jsfritz, Aug 24, 2008
  2. jsfritz

jsfritz

Update:

- Disabled all ipv6 features in firefox about:config. Enabled http pipelining.
    No difference in responsiveness.

- Added in my DNS servers manually in Network settings instead of making it grab the servers from DHCP. No difference.
    - Added in the following to /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf.dist:
    alias net-pf-10 off
    alias ipv6 off

Still no difference in the responsiveness of dnslookups. nslookup still says it cannot connect to the server 90% of the time, the other 10% it takes a long while but does return with a successful lookup.

If this doesn't clear up I might end up installing ubuntu, or worse, Windows.

jsfritz, Aug 24, 2008
  3. jsfritz

jsfritz

Update:

Looks like the issue is with my University's network and not my Aspire. I took it to a different network and it works fine. This particular network just has trouble with Linux machines apparently. They told me a workaround is this:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/neigh/eth0/locktime

into /etc/rc.d/rc.local.

Does anyone have any idea what this does before I blindly start putting it into config files?

jsfritz, Aug 24, 2008
  4. jsfritz

yodersj

http://linux.startcom.org/docs/he/Introduction to Linux/x8608.html
    Alternatively you could add it to '/etc/sysctl.conf' like:
    Code:
    net.ipv4.neigh.eth0.locktime=1
    If you want to test before making the change occur for every reboot, you can do it one of two ways (must be root):
    Code:
    echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/neigh/eth0/locktime
    or
    Code:
    sysctl -w net.ipv4.neigh.eth0.locktime=1
    To check what it is, before and/or after setting it:
    Code:
    cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/neigh/eth0/locktime
    or
    Code:
    sysctl net.ipv4.neigh.eth0.locktime
    HTH