Slightly less hardcore (add your own design to the case)

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by Rectifier, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Rectifier

Spyder

Does anyone have the exact dimensions to the top? I'm talking just the area of the case behind the screen. I wasn't sure if the specs given on the website were for the whole thing open or not. I'd measure my own, but it's still in the mail till Thursday!

If that makes no sense I apologize.

Spyder, Aug 31, 2008
  2. Rectifier

kapinouwi

kapinouwi, Oct 3, 2008
  3. Rectifier

donec

Office Max sells a transparent skin film that you can print on to add your own skin. It is not a water decal but a non-adhesive skin like you would buy. It can be removed and placed on another computer so it leaves no residue.

donec, Oct 3, 2008
  4. Rectifier

Spyder

I'm working on getting some transparent stickers printed to stick on my AAO. As soon as my girlfriend makes the files....... :roll:

Spyder, Oct 10, 2008
  5. Rectifier

cachorropedorro

What is it called because I went there and they asked me what the heck I was talking about. I even checked the site by typing in "transparency skin film" and I didn't get anything but transparency slides.

cachorropedorro, Oct 14, 2008
  6. Rectifier

donec

I also had trouble finding it and found it at only one store here. Anyway, the package says....
    OfficeMax
    inkjet printable
    Laptopskin
    The bar code on the back has a number under it that is....
    0 00 11491 99860 0

SKU# is 21263892 / MFG#OM99860

Good luck.

PS. I checked on line and it is not available but I also called customer service at 1 800 283 7674 and they said that you could order it through them just by calling. However! since it is under $50.00 they will charge shipping which will about $7.95. The store I got it at priced it at a little over $20.00. The package come with 3 laptop skins and 3 proofing sheets and instructions.

donec, Oct 15, 2008
  7. Rectifier

Spyder

As soon as I get the pics I want photo shopped I'm just going to take it to a print shop and have them print it on some transparent sticker stock.

Spyder, Oct 15, 2008
  8. Rectifier

donec

OK, I have printed my first attempt at a netbook skin and what I found is that the width of the Office Max laptop skins are about right for netbooks. Thia means that you can create 6 skins instead of just 3. Anyway here is my first attempt....
    [​IMG]

donec, Oct 21, 2008
  9. Rectifier

Kei

Very nice very very nice emmm i need to come up with a good design

Kei, Oct 27, 2008
  10. Rectifier

yodersj

I finally found an OfficeMax that carried the inkjet printable laptop skin pack. Here's my first skin:
    [​IMG]
    It's a cell phone pic, so the poor quality hides some of the detail. It is turned long-ways, so I'll only get 3 skins out of the pack. Only had to trim at the bottom, as it fit nicely edge-to-edge The art is a mash up of a couple of deviant art finds and tux factory find. ["blue phlame", "White Tribal", and "Ying et Tux"]

yodersj, Dec 15, 2008
  11. Rectifier

TTgowings

Just finished putting my decal on (got mine from DecalGirl) it felt very thick and durable and was very easy to put on. I just kinda wished it would have come with the decal for around the LCD but for $14.99+S&H (use PSPHOME for a %10 discount) I'm not gonna complain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TTgowings, Dec 26, 2008
  12. Rectifier

Takahashi

Ahh, yes most of your decals looks fantastic!

I am thinking about this now, I'll probably draw something up to use, or get some nice stock art to use.

Another simple way of doing this decal is to get a sheet of decal paper (or sticker paper [although its less durable]). And from that trace what you want, and cut it out with a razor.

I am wondering though, what about decopodge (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decoupage)?! If you do it, and finish it off with some clear spray paint, it should come out pretty nice. However, it might come out thicker then a decal. This one is fun too, because you can take cut outs of what ever you want, from any paper media (newspapers, mags, books, or anything you have done on paper). It looks really good if you do it right, and it does not take much to do. The glue that I would recommend would be Aleene's Tacky Glue (http://www.duncancrafts.com/aleenes/), or Mod Podge (http://www.plaidonline.com/apmp.asp).

Good luck, and have fun! Happy Modding!
    ;)

Takahashi, Dec 27, 2008
  13. Rectifier

Robert89

Hello, my first post at this forum! I Just bought a AAO 160gig, blue, at my local electronic store and now I'm looking for something to protect it from scratches. I've been looking at istyles.com and 3acp.com and found nice skins on both sites. But I wonder if anyone have tried skins from them?

The thing is, the skins I want is in white/black at the pics, but I would like the black in the pics to be transparent, because it would look better on my blue aao. Hope you guys understand what I mean but for example, this skin http://www.istyles.com/radiosity-acer-a ... 13578.html I would like on my netbook, but I wonder if you know if the black in the pic is transparent, so only the white and grey is printed?

Thanks//Robert

Robert89, Dec 27, 2008
  14. Rectifier

Takahashi

Ahh, yes your question is a good one, and the problem is a bit complicated. The reason being that most of the decal paper that has been the main conversation piece of this thread.

The hard part is two fold, first off, the paper that is commonly sold is white, white, and more white. Leading to the second reason, ink jet printers (most of them), print on white stationary (ka-duh!).

So, in order to do what you want to do, you are probably going to have to special order it.

I'll look for an easier answer for you, though! :D

Takahashi, Dec 31, 2008
  15. Rectifier

azz2811

this looks really cool were do you buy the decals??

azz2811, Dec 31, 2008
  16. Rectifier

manbearpig

No more fingerprints.
    [​IMG]

manbearpig, Jan 29, 2009
  17. Rectifier

GvidoR

Lapjacks or DecalGirl

GvidoR, Jan 29, 2009
  18. Rectifier

drste06

just orderd http://www.decalgirl.com/browse.cfm/4,17894.htm for my aspire cant wait getting matching set for my iphone aswell ill post pics when i have it

edit * oh and TTgowings thanks for the discount code

edit 2 just got it fitted [​IMG]

drste06, May 9, 2009
Ask a Question