Slightly less hardcore (add your own design to the case)

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by Rectifier, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Rectifier

Rectifier

Rectifier, Aug 18, 2008
  2. Rectifier

DiSK

Re: Slightly less hardcore, but nice nonetheless

It looks very nice...

I might do it once I get my One. But I'm having a hard time finding good images...Give me some sites for good images. Deviantart isn't helping, or I'm looking in the wrong sections.

DiSK, Aug 18, 2008
  3. Rectifier

Rectifier

Deviantart has some, but they are scarce indeed. I've looked in the digital art - vector art and abstract sections. They have some images, but most will need work.

I think I'll do it soon on mine (a white 120 GB model)

(p.s. Don't forget to ask the creator for permission ;))

Rectifier, Aug 19, 2008
  4. Rectifier

fateastray

W00p, first post!

This topic gave me an idea, I executed just now.

I uploaded a picture to a custom-sticker-e-shop, and let them print it on a window-sticker. =D

I made all the white transparant, since the hood on the One is white too...

Awesome idea.

fateastray, Aug 19, 2008
  5. Rectifier

Rectifier

Great! Can't wait to see the result!

Mine is 'in repair' currently (ruined linux, and decided to make a dual-boot with XP. NEVER use a USB install with a compactflash/cardreader - it can't get to its 'cd' after the dos-part of the install. Decided to do it truly old-skool, by copying a dos filesystem onto the main drive (fat32), and converting afterwards.Works, but takes a day or so), so it will take a while more before I give it a go.

Rectifier, Aug 20, 2008
  6. Rectifier

fateastray

it' ll take 14 days for the sticker to deliver, but i' ll post pictures of the result!

fateastray, Aug 20, 2008
  7. Rectifier

KiNG

that looks cool, maybe i should get a white one now :p

KiNG, Aug 20, 2008
  8. Rectifier

Rectifier

You can use it on any colour, just don't get the transparant sheet (or find a printer capable of printing white (some lasers can do that)), and cut it out _really_ close to the edges of your image :)

But the bottom line remains : yes, it is mighty cool :D

Rectifier, Aug 20, 2008
  9. Rectifier

niem102

Wow maybe this would be a way to avoid really stupid people asking what kind of Mac it is just because it's white (thinking just because it's a white laptop it's a Mac or something). Then again sometimes it's nice to be able to go on an anti-Mac rant lol :D

niem102, Aug 22, 2008
  10. Rectifier

fateastray

Okay, it came in, and this is how it turned out.

I was gonna cut it out as a silhouette, but I only had a blunt scissors at my disposal. Considering, it turned out great. I divided the sticker in 3 parts, because I made it a tad too big.

It's divided in a hood-part, a hinge-part and a batterypart, so that the battery can still be removed.

[​IMG]

fateastray, Aug 22, 2008
  11. Rectifier

Rectifier

Not bad!

I'm still trying to conjure up a "winning" design ;), but that should not take too long anymore.

By the way, how thick is the sticker? Thick enough to be torn off when nicely abused?

Rectifier, Aug 22, 2008
  12. Rectifier

fateastray

Yeah, you could poke your nail under it, and just tear it off. I enforced the rougher edges with some regular tape, so it won't tear of through normal usage or transportation. It's a simple solution, and with proper scissors it could be cut out way better, and look even more awesome.

fateastray, Aug 22, 2008
  13. Rectifier

DiSK

It's okay, but I mean, you can clearly see that it's a sticker. The guy who did it with the decal paper made it look like it was printed on...

I got the blue AspireOne, HDD version. Gonna be hard for me to make one...And I don't want a white decal paper. Ugh. Maybe I'll just leave it as it is...It looks great still. :D

By the way, is it easily removable? If I do decide to do one, I don't want a bunch of sticky stuff left behind...Like when you rip off a really sticky bandaid (ouchii!).

DiSK, Aug 24, 2008
  14. Rectifier

Coelli

Lighter fluid (like for Zippos, not butane) will take off most adhesive residue without leaving a residue of its own, or damaging the surface it's used on. :) (In fact I've already used it on the top of my AA1 with no problems)

Coelli, Aug 25, 2008
  15. Rectifier

levitron

That's looking pretty good.

Mods like these make me wish I had a white one.

levitron, Aug 25, 2008
  16. Rectifier

midgetdiablo

You don't need a white one to be able to create a design on it. You just need to know how to utilize the blue surface of the blue One.

With all this great news, I'm ready to make my own design with Photoshop, save it as a jpeg, and get the cosmetics guys to print it out for me as a sticker!

midgetdiablo, Aug 25, 2008
  17. Rectifier

fateastray

I know. I believe I noted I wanted to perfect-cut the picture out, but I didn't have scissors handy. Otherwise it would've looked better...

fateastray, Aug 27, 2008
  18. Rectifier

Rectifier

At least you can remove yours, and change to a decal later on.
    The way I understand it, decals are rather permanent, due to the spray varnish you apply to it, which makes a sticker try-out seem like a very good idea to me. And besides, you've got the first 'customised' one ;)

Rectifier, Aug 28, 2008
  19. Rectifier

fateastray

Yeah, the visible personal touch is still pretty satisfying, even when it could be done better. Maybe i'll get it reprinted, and re-apply it, better. Since this sticker, as Rectifier said, is not permanent, so imo it has quite an advantage over a decal. I might sick of this sticker in a year or so, and just remove it.

So if you decide to do a decal, it had better a picture of something you won't get sick of too quickly. (naked women!)

So yah, I'd suggest a sticker, and just do a better job than I did. =p

It's easier to do white-on-white, because you can just make all the white in the sticker transparant, so there won't be any colour differences.

fateastray, Aug 28, 2008
  20. Rectifier

...BeAkEr...

that looks excellent, anyone wanna make me one? lol

I don't have a printer anymore, I gave it away a few weeks back as I never use it doh!

...BeAkEr..., Aug 28, 2008
Ask a Question