Skype and Software installs...

Discussion in 'Linux' started by thwapy, Mar 7, 2009.

1. thwapy

thwapy

Hi. I am completely new to linux. I have tried to open pirus and the package manager appears but then freezes part way through, I have been patient and left it a good while but it will not load up....

I want to put Skype on my daughters aspire... I have downloaded skype from its website and the skype RPM package is in the downloads file. When I click open with software installer the 'installing packages' box appears but nothing comes up to click 'apply' to.

I then tried downloading the software from acer.com/aspireone. I extracted skype.sh.zip and opened skype.sh, it then starts to install but again it freezes just before the programme has installed?

Can someone PLEASE help, this is driving me a bit mad !

Thanks

Jay

thwapy, Mar 7, 2009
  2. thwapy

barrie

Hi Jay,

Try this.

1. Go to http://www.skype.com and download the version for Fedora 7and save it in your Downloads folder.
    2. Select open with package manager.
    3. Click open and type your password and confirm you want to install this.
    4. It should then install and you will get a “software installed successfully” message.
    5. Click remove to delete the package.

Now just right click on the desktop and go to network and you will see Skype there.

barrie, Mar 7, 2009
  3. thwapy

thwapy

Hi Barrie

I had tried that first, package manager opens, I type my password and then the update box appears however it just freezes.

I have just tried using 'live update' and again that has frozen near the start of the update.......

Thanks for the advice though, any ideas?

thwapy, Mar 7, 2009
  4. thwapy

barrie

Hi thwapy,

Just want to check that you defiantly downloaded the version for Fedora 7?

Also the fact that your live update freezes may point to a connection problem, are you using Wi-Fi or hard wired, or both?

barrie, Mar 7, 2009
  5. thwapy

thwapy

It was Fedora 7. I am using wi-fi but it is connecting to the internet without a problem....???

thwapy, Mar 7, 2009
  6. thwapy

barrie

Hi thwapy,

This is very strange, as a test try this go to add and remove software enter your password > Applications > graphical internet then scroll down the listings to Thunderbird and check the box on its left. Now follow the prompts.

Does Thunderbird install OK or do you still have issues?

barrie, Mar 7, 2009
  7. thwapy

thwapy

Hi Barrie

I have gone to system, add/remove software, entered my password....

Package manager then pops up with a box 'retrieving software information', the blue bar starts to load but freezes.

I have no way of going to :

> Applications > graphical internet then scroll down the listings to Thunderbird and check the box on its left

Once the 'Retrieving Software' information box appears I cannot cancel it or close the package manager, the whole lot just freezes.......

thwapy, Mar 8, 2009
  8. thwapy

thwapy

I just tried to install skype from acer.com again using the downloaded zip file:

skype.sh.zip

double clicked on skype.sh

The box to install came up and I clicked OK. It then installed the file and re-started my computer.

GREAT I thought ...... When the aspire re-loaded, Skype is nowhere to be found !!!!??? I was not expecting an ICON but it is not even there when I right click on the desktop

I tried going through the install again and it said that skype is updated !!??

Anyone have a clue what is going on??

thwapy, Mar 8, 2009
  9. thwapy

barrie

Hi Jay,
    This is worrying, as the software download and install process should be automatic and it checks for dependencies then collects the relevant information from the necessary repository's downloads it then updates and and finally cleans up for you, because the Acer was designed for software like Skype Thunderbird and more.

To recap, this is all you have done to your box.
    Fully updated your system (can I ask when you bought it)
    Done the advanced mode right click command viewtopic.php?f=13&t=28#p158

I am at a loss as to what has happened, but it seems as you are now unable to download and install new software and the Package manager does not function any more, so possibly a format is called for, and get it back to new. (it only takes 20 minuets to complete)
    Instructions here.
    viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7412

Sorry I can not go further, but something has happend to cause this.

barrie, Mar 8, 2009
  10. thwapy

thwapy

Hi Barrie

I bought the netbook at Christmas, I updated and then added VLC, an ipod programme and a programme to run her Epson printer.

I did change the code to allow skype to show up as a desktop icon. I have checked this though and there were no typo's etc.

Problem is the disk to restore is at her mum's house, is there anything else I can check or do?

Thanks for all your help...

thwapy, Mar 8, 2009
  11. thwapy

barrie

Hi Jay,

You could check to see what components of Skype have been installed if any by opening file manager then click the binoculars (search) just type in Skype then choose search file system.

You should see about 49 files, so look for this entry possibly the last one,

Name = Skype > folder = /usr/bin/ > size= 32MB >type=executable > then the date modified.
    If it is there just click it or double click it and Skype should open, if not as I suspect :( then I would do a reinstall.

On the thread I gave re rescue CD there is also a post and link by redtree of how to create a rescue stick but one that will restore your system along with all the applications you have installed. I have made this but not tried it as yet. But suspect you should not do this yet just creat the normal RS and take the box back to new then start again.

I would then do the following.
    A) Fully update
    B) Run the advanced mode right click command
    C) Install Skype
    D) Install VLC
    E) Install the ipod programme

The rescue stick I gave instructions for works fine and as I said takes about 20 mins to complete, + time to reload any applications. :)

barrie, Mar 8, 2009
Ask a Question