Silly error

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by SirJoe, Apr 18, 2016.

1. SirJoe

SirJoe

Modern laptops no longer have just one speed, in order for you to have longer battery life you can choose various energy management settings.
    This said, this week end I was trying to get some things done with my laptop the only thing it was extremely sluggish. I just couldn't understand what was happening with my computer. The first thing I blamed was obviously windows 10, but after snooping around I found the energy management program and surprise surprise it was on the green mode. No wonder I couldn't do anything.
    Has this happened to you?

SirJoe, Apr 18, 2016
    Krissttina Isobe and IBMPC8088 like this.
  2. SirJoe

Corzhens

I don't remember touching the setting of that energy maangement setting. When I received my laptop (as an office issue) the tech said that it was already "ready to eat" to mean that I don't need anything to do with the setting and I can use it already. I know that some of my colleagues have changed the setting of their laptops so it would be more efficient. But as per your experience, it was the opposite that happened.

Corzhens, Apr 20, 2016
    IBMPC8088 and SirJoe like this.
  3. SirJoe

SirJoe

It was really frustrating me, I couldn't understand how come I couldn't do the things that I could do initially that quickly. I could run a virtual machine, Photoshop and have some YouTube videos running at the same time. I was at a point that I could only run Photoshop and if I tried to run YouTube it would get sluggish.

SirJoe, Apr 20, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  4. SirJoe

IcyBC

Yes, this happened to my HP laptop, and I had it on energy saving mode. Despite cleaning, history clearing, and using CCleaner, nothing could move very fast. Some had advised me to do a factory setting before to get it back to the better stage, but later on I found that the fans in my laptop was going bad :(

IcyBC, Apr 20, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  5. SirJoe

IBMPC8088

When I've had to fix a stock/retail system, that was often one of the first settings that would get in the way of performance. It tells the hardware to be a glorified calculator instead of a performance machine. I ask people to check and manage that setting first before calling so they don't have to spend extra money unless they need to. It really does bring the system to a slower speed, especially if you're on battery and have used over half of the battery while the system is being told to save energy. It'll start reducing the speed even more and turning off some non-essentials you may want or need on while it does. It's always best to set that to performance...unless you actually need a glorified calculator for real that lasts longer off of the battery when it's away from the plug.

IBMPC8088, Apr 21, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  6. SirJoe

Krissttina Isobe

I borrow the library's internet computers so it's all set to use. We can borrow for home use 2gopc netbooks too and it's okay. We are lucky that we have computers ready to use. I'll check it if it gets sluggish for the green mode-thanks for the tip!

Krissttina Isobe, Apr 21, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  7. SirJoe

spence88

Yeah happened to me, when my game dropped frames significantly up to the point that it's unplayable. My CPU maxes out at 2.3ghz on all cores and 3.1ghz on 1 core, but when I checked the clocks were only 1.2ghz, greatly slowing its gaming performance. Then found out that I somehow switched the power management settings to "Battery Saving Mode" which limits the CPU's max speed to 5% performance.

spence88, Apr 23, 2016
    IcyBC and IBMPC8088 like this.
Ask a Question