Shuts off after 20 seconds.

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Flufflebuns, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Flufflebuns

Flufflebuns

My Aspire One has been upgraded to 1gb RAM and I just bought it 4 months ago in Vietnam where they installed Windows XP. (I know it doesn´t sound legit, but this was a superstore in Saigon, so it´s not some shady Acer knockoff, though I agree the Windows copy might not be 100% legit, though no problems with anything of that sorts so far). It has been working without any problems for months until now.

It could be a coincidence, but the problem started directly after plugging into a dial up modem through USB; a Speedtouch 330 device. My Laptop read the USB and pulled up the icon as if installing, but after 5 minutes nothing changed. I figured extra software was needed so I tried to do a proper eject of the USB, and when that didn´t work I made the fatal mistake of simply unplugging it. Nothing of importance happened, but then I turned off the PC and when I turned it on a couple hours later, after about 20 seconds it popped back off. I have attempted every setting I know, started in each SafeMode, allowed the blue screen consistancy check to run, cancelled the check to go to windows, tried to run in command prompt, but no matter what I do it shuts off after 20 seconds. I have also tried booting with that USB plugged in the same slot as before and it still shuts off. I tried taking out battery and putting back in. Everything I know to do, and I´m not awesome with computers, but I am far from an idiot with them; there must be something I haven´t thought of.

It sounds like a fan issue I know, but is this possible so new? I´ve never even heard the fans run (so beautifully quiet), so I wouldn´t know what it sounds like when not running, though when I put my ear to the computer (in that 20 seconds its on) I hear absolutely nothing. I am in Austria right now, I bought the thing in Vietnam and I left the warranty and papers it comes with in the US. What should I do, try and bring it to a store? Is there any prompt at the begining I should try? SHould I just take out the Harddrive and use the computer as a frisbee? HELP!

Flufflebuns, Sep 27, 2008
  2. Flufflebuns

Tamrac

I know this is remote... but you could have fried the FAN somehow when you plugged in the model. Maybe a surge? In any case, you should be able to hear the fan if you put it near your ear. Try to operate the AAO in front of the Airconditioner, see if it shutsdown longer.... if it does, then it's something thermal alright. Goodluck.

Tamrac, Sep 27, 2008
  3. Flufflebuns

Flufflebuns

Thanks. The refrigerator trick at least allowed me to retrieve some files I needed as it allowed it on for a couple minutes. It definitely proves my fans are busted, which sucks. Is it simple to get those fixed/replaced? Can I do it at a computer repair store, or will I have to wait until I am home with my warranty papers and send it in to Acer? Do you think the warranty is even valid?

Flufflebuns, Sep 29, 2008
  4. Flufflebuns

Tamrac

Yup, it's still valid.... I think the best thing is just to have it repaired or replaced. Good luck.

Tamrac, Sep 29, 2008
  5. Flufflebuns

anzbevrct

I have the same problem: my Aspire One 110 shuts down about a minute after I turn on the power (mean time-till-death is 1 minute and 7 seconds). The device makes no noise whatsoever when it is turned on, so I assume I also have a broken fan.

Any hope that I can fix this on my own, or should I send it back to the shop?

Thanks!

anzbevrct, Oct 3, 2008
  6. Flufflebuns

Tamrac

If you open it up yourself, you will void the warranty.... But if you think you're good at opening small components, and don't care about the warranty(like me), then go open it and look. Most likely it's a loose fan connector. If it's a busted fan, then you'll have to find a replacement. Goodluck.

Tamrac, Oct 3, 2008
  7. Flufflebuns

anzbevrct

Hmmmm... I won't take the risk and I'm going to send it back to Acer.

anzbevrct, Oct 4, 2008
  8. Flufflebuns

dugc

Same problem for me. I am Scotland though, so it lasts 1 minute 10 seconds. I can't send mine to Acer because I fitted extra RAM :( I wish I hadn't had to open it up but as it was so slow on 512Mb and as there has no easy access RAM cover, I had no choice. Damn you Acer!

Has anyone fixed this problem on their own? Mine was fine for months, then I posted it to my father, and it was like this from the first time he tried to boot it. Wierd.

dugc, Oct 16, 2008
  9. Flufflebuns

dugc

I just talked my Dad through a complete dismantle of his AA1 - never again :roll:

The fan connector was seated correctly and everything was in order. In case it was a BIOS problem I got him to take the CMOS battery out and back in - just in case it helps. I also got him to blow on the fan to make it turn a bit. I will post back if it now works. I left him to reassemble on his own, so probably not. :lol:

UPDATE: Ok now the fan makes a noise, but that's all - that and the power light. No BIOS splash or anything. I have tried to talk him through flashing the BIOS as suggested here: http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/08/acer ... overy.html but he can't get the power light to flash. It switches itself off after a few seconds. Any ideas?

UPDATE: Working! He took it apart again and re-assembled it more carefully, and then it started working (without the need to flash the BIOS). A few keys on the keyboard don't work properly so he is again going to try to re-seat the keyboard ribbon. It's working though, thank goodness! :shock:

dugc, Oct 16, 2008
  10. Flufflebuns

m1m1nk

Reporting same problem here in Jakarta.

DId yours turned OK after 24hr? mine did.

However, this problem seems to occur once a month (during my 2 months ownership).

Really annoyed, still seeking to find a solution but nowhere to be found.

the first occurrence of this problem was when i got AOA110 out of the box and was setting for date and time then it died, so the other problem was the ROOT PASSWORD was not saved properly so I couldn't access root folder, luckily http://jorge.ulver.no/2008/08/06/acer-a ... nd-tricks/ provided a way to reset ROOT PASSWORD without even knowing the initial password, handy!

Please post if there's new development, you know I would.

Cheers!

m1m1nk, Oct 20, 2008
  11. Flufflebuns

Guest Guest

Guest, Oct 21, 2008
  12. Flufflebuns

Tamrac

These instant shutdowns are thermal problems. The AAO will shut itself off instantly when the max temperature is reached. This is not a BIOS problem. The easiest way to check is just to put the vent p to your ear and listen if the fan is working. The fan should be activated all the time the AAO is powered on.

Tamrac, Oct 21, 2008
  13. Flufflebuns

tsoltrs

my girlfriend bought an acer aspire one AOA 150 ZG5 today. the moment she turned it on it took about 1 minute ( the longest time) before it shut down. This continued whenever she turned the computer back on cept the times got shorter. reading this thread it seems like its a fan problem.the thing it its brand new. what should we do.should i just replace it or is there a solution to this?

tsoltrs, Oct 21, 2008
  14. Flufflebuns

m1m1nk

Current conclusion, AOA auto shutdown when fan not running on start up.

about your GF's AOA, I suggest you return it to the shop, heard that ACER has not yet found a proper solution to this.

m1m1nk, Oct 22, 2008
Ask a Question