Should I buy a touchscreen laptop?

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by pandandesign, Feb 3, 2014.

1. pandandesign

pandandesign

I have heard Windows 8 is meant for touchscreen computers and laptops, which I don't really care whether or not it is touchscreen as long as it is fast and useful and not too expensive. Should I buy a Windows 8 computer with touchscreen or without touchscreen? Is it better to have a touchscreen computer because Windows 8 is meant for touch optimization?

pandandesign, Feb 3, 2014
  2. pandandesign

Brian8gbSSDLinux

The FIRST thing is... COST
    Adding a Touchscreen to a Laptop is going to add cost to a Laptop - or mean losing out on some other feature of the Laptop - Less Memory or Smaller Hard Drive size... which you are going to have to pay for over the top

Second - It also introduces lack of Productivity,
    There are too many choices...
    Shall I use the Touch pad and Buttons,
    Shall I use a mouse - or -
    Shall I use the Touchscreen ???

Due to customer complaints - MS has finally realised that NOT everyone is interested in using touchscreen - especially on a Monitor or a Laptop...
    Windows 8.1 has reverted to the 'Normal' Start Menu, so Touchpad and buttons are the 'Norm' again in Win 8.1

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Feb 5, 2014
  3. pandandesign

Sefie

I'd not get one just because they say windows 8 is perfect for touch screen laptops. As the poster above me said it would only add cost and you can actually use windows 8 just fine with a mouse. I'd advice you to stick to what you already know. Plus, touch screens aren't that great either.

Sefie, Feb 16, 2014
  4. pandandesign

autograph

I personally would not get a touch screen for laptop. Most of the time, the cost just doesn't justify the benefits it is going to bring. I don't think my Windows 8 experience would improve greatly just because I have a touch screen. As others have said, I am doing pretty fine myself with using a mouse.
    If cost is really not an issue for you, then by all means go get it.
    Cheers.

autograph, Feb 19, 2014
  5. pandandesign

morguk

I don't want smudge marks on my laptop thank you! ;) If you want touchscreen then just get a tablet, or even the Asus T100 transformer, something like that.

morguk, Feb 20, 2014
  6. pandandesign

LindaKay

I'm really not a fan of the touchscreen idea. If you want the "newest technology," though, I suppose you should look for a touchscreen. Mine has Windows 8 and doesn't have a touchscreen, and I still like it.

LindaKay, Feb 20, 2014
  7. pandandesign

OhioTom76

I've had a touchscreen system for the past two years, and I almost never use the touch screen itself. In fact, it's more of a pain in the butt because when I go to wipe some dust off of it, or swat a bug off the screen I end up messing up a bunch of stuff on my desktop because I forgot I had a touch screen.

Plus every time you use it, you leave smudges all over the place that you have to look at and are distracting - I was constantly wiping the screen down with window cleaner.

The only time the touch screen has ever come in handy was when my Bluetooth keyboard and mouse were failing to work (it's a desktop touchscreen all in one system with a bluetooth mouse and keyboard) and I had to use the on screen keyboard to login to Windows to troubleshoot it.

OhioTom76, Feb 25, 2014
  8. pandandesign

NeroFerk

Well it just depends on what are you going to do with the windows 8 laptop. Are you going to play lots of games or are you going to use it for research stuff and blogging? A touch screen is not necessary for use of a laptop or windows 8. To me it is just that one cool feature that has nothing to do with the capability of laptops.

NeroFerk, Feb 25, 2014
  9. pandandesign

LindaKay

Yeah, I agree. I think it all has to do with what you are interested in, ya know? The touch screen thing isn't a big deal for me. Some people wouldn't be able to imagine investing in a new computer without looking for this technology, though.

LindaKay, Feb 26, 2014
  10. pandandesign

sparkblade14

Same here. I have a touchscreen Vaio and I don't really use it much. It's nice and cool, but totally impractical IMO. I just end up using a mouse or trackpad 99% of the time. I only use it if I lose my mouse and I don't wanna use the trackpad.

sparkblade14, Feb 27, 2014
  11. pandandesign

JPeg

I have the Asus Vivo Book which features a touch screen and while it's unique, it's really not necessary. It does create smudges and is sometimes slower than just using your mouse pad instead.

JPeg, Mar 17, 2014
  12. pandandesign

Charles Franklin

I did not realize that having a Touchscreen would mean losing something in the process. It just seemed like such a cool idea that I bought into the concept "hook, line and sinker".

By the way, I have a Chromebook with Touchscreen, so I have some idea of what you mean. It's great for the Internet, but can't really really do a lot of things my Acer used to do.

Charles Franklin, Mar 21, 2014
  13. pandandesign

mikelouis

Instead of buying that touch screen laptop, just buy an iPad that has better touch screen. But if it is going to run on Windows 8 then it might be worth you buying.

mikelouis, Mar 22, 2014
  14. pandandesign

skywatcher

I'm not sure, I'm not a fan of touchscreen laptops myself - but based on my friend who has one of those, I'm not sure if I'd grow comfortable using it. I think I might go with a non-touchscreen one first, and when I think I have the necessary things to do with the touchscreen laptop (as in one that the ordinary laptops can't normally do that I really, really have to accomplish), then that's the time for the touchscreen laptop to be bought.

skywatcher, Apr 1, 2014
  15. pandandesign

Jazma96

I would definately go for it. I mean i have one and i love it. i like being about to just touch the screen when i want or just use the mouse. Yes the screen does get smudgy some time but you get just get a napkin and wipe it right off..

Jazma96, Apr 6, 2014
  16. pandandesign

Maledictum

I'm going to say no, but that's from personal experience. I really hate touchscreens and find they dirty and grimy a bit too quick.

Maledictum, Apr 9, 2014
  17. pandandesign

mjhunter23

I would recommend you do not get a touch screen laptop. This is because if cost is one of the more important factors to you a touch screen will just add pointless value to that laptop which may mean you have to compromise on other aspects like hard drive capacity, ram, processor etc which will make your computer slower.
    Also the laptop I currently use has Windows 8 and no touch screen and I have not noticed any inconvenience.

mjhunter23, Apr 9, 2014
  18. pandandesign

maxparker0

Buying a touchscreen laptop just because an OS system is more suited for it does not seem a good idea to me. I would not have a touchsreen on my laptop or desktop unless I have a good enough reason for it. I would prefer an iPad for a touchscreen experience.

maxparker0, Apr 10, 2014
  19. pandandesign

XeNoNF50

I have a touchscreen laptop and it's great. It makes things easier with Windows 8 for starters but that isn't the only reason I would have one. It is just generally nice having it there, especially for doing work and reading long pdfs. I was lucky that for the specs that I got on my laptop I basically didn't pay a premium for it. For £650 I got an i7 quad core processor, 8GB RAM and a mid range graphics card in the NVidia GT 740m which I can quite comfortably play Titanfall with.

XeNoNF50, Apr 11, 2014
  20. pandandesign

babyleans

with windows eight i think a touch screen would be suitable but then again it all depends on you. i'm not a big touchscreen guy so i personally wouldn't get one. i love to use keyboards/keypads whenever i can.

babyleans, Apr 13, 2014
Ask a Question