Sharing files with an Windows XP PC

Discussion in 'Linux' started by David_W, Dec 28, 2008.

1. David_W

David_W

I expect this has been covered before but I can't find anything. Please point me in the right direction if that is the case.

How can I share files and media between my Linpus AA1 and other computers on my wireless network?

In particular, I'd like the AA1 to see the hard drive of my XP desktop PC. I'm using a D-Link wirless router (the AA1 is connecting over WiFi but the PC is actually connected to the router via a LAN cable).

Ideally, I'd also like to be able to share files across the network with a wireless Vista laptop.

Thanks
    David

David_W, Dec 28, 2008
  2. David_W

redcitrus

Hi David

I'm having exact the same problem, and this would seem a pretty fundamental requirement for a netbook with such a small internal drive. I've had no end of problems trying to get this to work, and whilst I've managed to access a network share on a NAS device (by editing the /etc/fstab configuration file), this doesn't appear to be a permanent solution, as the wireless connection on the AAO connects after the network shares are mounted.

Windows is a far better bet for networking, as it will happily mount network shares as and when the network is available - with Linux it all seems a bit hit and miss for my liking. If anyone can point me in a more robust solution, I'd be grateful. The fact that Acer have omitted this from the AAO seems a massive oversight as far as I can see.

redcitrus, Dec 29, 2008
  3. David_W

Chicago_Jake

I logged on today looking for an answer to this exact question. Whoever has the solution, you'll be helping a lot of us out!.....Jake

Chicago_Jake, Dec 29, 2008
  4. David_W

Ballistic

Ballistic, Dec 29, 2008
  5. David_W

gnash

I wished Acer preinstalled a GUI frontend to samba or incorporated it into their file browser. With other linux distro's like Ubuntu and Puppy it's very easy to find Windows share.

gnash, Dec 29, 2008
  6. David_W

David_W

Guys,

Please can someone explain how to do this from scratch? i.e assuming no knowledge of ever configuring anything on a Linux device. The link to an earlier thread above assumes more prior knowledge than I have.

Explanations that start with things like "change to root" lose some of use immediately.

I just want to do a couple of simple things such as file sharing and printing to a wifi printer. I can following instructions.

Many thanks
    David

David_W, Jan 10, 2009
  7. David_W

rbil

David,

I'll try and give you a step by step way to access a Windows share in Linpus. There are other ways, but this is one way to get you started. All of this will be done from a terminal. So open a terminal, by ALT+F2, type in terminal and run it. Then in the terminal:

1) First create a directory in your home directory where the mounted share will go:

Code:
    mkdir windowshare
    2) Now mount the share:

Code:
    sudo mount -t cifs -o user=<Windows username>,workgroup=WORKGROUP //192.168.1.xxx/<Windows shared dir> /mnt/home/windowshare
    sudo = gives you root permissions
    user= whatever username you give access to from your Windows share
    workgroup= whatever name Windows uses for a workgroup
    192.168.1.xxx= the ip address of your Windows box
    Windows shared dir= whatever directory on the Windows box you've setup to share

Make sense?

After the share is mounted, you should be able to see the shared files within the windowshare directory in your home directory.

Cheers.

rbil, Jan 10, 2009
  8. David_W

David_W

That's really helpful. I'll give it a go and let you know how I get on.

BTW are there any idiots guide books or magazines to help newbies to the platform?

Many thanks
    David

David_W, Jan 17, 2009
  9. David_W

Zorofroozo

it doesn"t work for me, i get an error

Code:
    [user@localhost ~]$ sudo mount -t cifs -o user=robbin,workgroup=WORKGROUP //192.168.123.173/640gig /mnt/home/windowsshare
    Password: 
    mount error 13 = Permission denied
    Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)
    [user@localhost ~]$ sudo mount -t cifs -o user=robbin,workgroup=WORKGROUP //192.168.123.173/640gig /mnt/home/windowsshare

Zorofroozo, Feb 5, 2009
  10. David_W

solpuerto

Hi

This is not a Linux problem but rather an Acer Linpus problem. After trying many "solutions" posted in this forum, without success I eventually tried Konqueror (it is part of the Kdebase package) and it worked first time. I can also run Ubuntu from a USB and it has the facility built in. Some people have tried Dolphin and it worked but with it I could see all the Windows share folders but not open them.
    Download it through ADD/Remove Programs.

solpuerto, Feb 5, 2009
  11. David_W

Ballistic

Furry Muff if you've found something else that works, but I still stand by the cifs approach in the thread link posted above. Works a treat connecting to Win XP share which has a share name set up with necessary permissions.

Ballistic, Feb 6, 2009
  12. David_W

Bata

Does it work with Vista?
    I couldn't make it work yet with my Vista. After horus googling I found that:

The AA1's Thunar file manager is fine, but it can't access folders on your network. To do so, you need a little command-line trickery. First, click on the My Files icon in the Files section of the desktop then create a new folder called, for instance, NetFolder.

Right-click on the empty space next to the new folder and select 'Open Terminal here' - this is another way of accessing the command line. Type sudo mount -t cifs //[fileshare IP address]/[fileshare name] NetFolder, filling in the IP address and name with the those of your server or shared folder, minus the square brackets. Hit Enter, and the AA1 may ask you for a username and/or password - these are the magic words that apply to the shared folder not to the AA1.
    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/09/05 ... page4.html

My problem is that I even don't know how to find my IP adress. I go to 'Network and sharing center' there appears my wireless router and my windows computer. From there I do not know where to go.

Any help?

Bata, Apr 18, 2009
  13. David_W

Gouge

Gouge, May 4, 2009
  14. David_W

mw21410

Hello, sorry I begin again, don't see my reply:
    Whar about use of SAMBA see this on the net

mw21410, Dec 12, 2009
Ask a Question