Server Laptop with hight configuration

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by Abouhassane Abdelhamid, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Abouhassane Abdelhamid

Abouhassane Abdelhamid

Hi,

I want to buy a laptop that can work as a server, i'm not intersted in a desktop. i found some gaming laptops that have some freakishly high configuration but i'm hesitant, bcs i'm afraid they won't suit to work as server. can anyone help to chose the best suitable one.
    also i would appreciate a list of choice.

Thanks.

Abouhassane Abdelhamid, Mar 15, 2017
  2. Abouhassane Abdelhamid

Ian Administrator

Welcome to the forums :).

Why do you want to use the laptop as a server - is that the only option? They're not intended to run at a high load 24/7 like a server would. I wouldn't expect a laptop running under those conditions to last long.

If it's just occasional, for example running webserver/MySQL for development/testing, that's a different matter :).

Which server apps do you want to run on the laptop and we can help you with the specs.

Ian, Mar 17, 2017
  3. Abouhassane Abdelhamid

Abouhassane Abdelhamid

Hi Ian,

Thank you for the reply, indeed it is as you said. it will be occasional and it's intended for development/testing of a big data environment (hadoop - spark - Pig.....)

Abouhassane Abdelhamid, Mar 17, 2017
  4. Abouhassane Abdelhamid

Ian Administrator

In that case, I'd probably aim for an i7 with 16GB+ RAM. I'm a big fan of Dell/Lenovo laptops when it comes to something requiring powerful configs, as they always seem to work well. Make sure you get an SSD too, as that'll make a big difference.

A gaming laptop will have similar configs to high end business laptops, but with the addition of a much better GPU - which may not be much use to you.

The new Inspiron 7000 15" & 17" models come with the sort of configurations that you're after, and they're reasonably priced for what you get. They also come with 7th Gen i7 CPUs, rather than the 6th Gen that are still around on some other models.

Ian, Mar 20, 2017
Ask a Question