Seagate 7200.4 500GB,WD Scorpio Blue 500gb or........

Discussion in 'Storage' started by wanderlust, Sep 30, 2009.

1. wanderlust

wanderlust

WD Scorpio Black 320GB?

Hi there,

I'm looking to drop in a new HDD into me Acer Aspire One (A150) to replace the diddy 120gb factory unit. I'd pretty much decided it was a straight fight between the two WD's but the more I've read the more I'm tempted by the Seagate.

Firstly, I know plenty of people have put the 500Gb Blue's in - would there be any issues associated with either the Seagate or the Black? Does anyone have any experience of any of these drives? Would the performance boost of the 7200 units be worth the extra money (£25 at the mo) for the Seagate or worth the loss of disk space for the black? The main reason for me buying a netbook was for storage whist on the road, both music files and photos from my DSLR. I'm not looking to attempt and proper image editing, but may play around with the images a little - will the quicker drives make a noticeable difference when say, opening up a 4GB SD card full of pics or opening up individual 10mb image files (in Lightroom 2)?

One of my biggest concerns is overheating, as I'm looking to spend a fair bit of time over in S.E. Asia where it'll be pretty warm anyway and don't want to worry about my little netbook getting overly warm all the time. There doesn't seem to be that much difference in the power consumptions, any idea's about noise and vibration?

:idea: As an aside, can anyone recommend or is anyone selling a 6 cell battery (in the UK)?

Any and all advice / tips gratefully received!

wanderlust, Sep 30, 2009
  2. wanderlust

harmlessbullet

the 7200 spin would use your battery quicker and in such a small laptop with a relatively low spec, you wouldnt notice the difference in spin speed. the 5200.6 seagate is worth looking into... especially with the gforce protection feature... ive been looking at reviews of laptop hdds and it looks like the best value.

harmlessbullet, Dec 15, 2009
  3. wanderlust

burlyacer

I just installed the 1 Gb Ram SODIMM and a 500 Gb Hitachi 5400 drive into my ZG5. It is super quiet and fast!

The drive was $79.99 at Frys.com here in San Diego, CA. On Friday I saw the same drive for $69.99

Heck of a good deal!

burlyacer, Dec 19, 2009
  4. wanderlust

baallrog

Hi guys,

I've got a AOA150 with a 120Gb HDD.
    I would like to replace the HDD by a 7200RPM 2.5" HDD SATA II, a 250GB I think.

Is that possible ? (the hdd connectors are the same and form factor ?)

Is there a performance difference between the 5400RPM and 7200RPM ?

ps : the additionnal battery drain is not a problem for me.

baallrog, Dec 26, 2009
Ask a Question