SDIO capability of the SD slots

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by jorgenm, Oct 5, 2008.

1. jorgenm

jorgenm

I saw on the web page for Secure Digital on Wikipedia that there is an SDIO standard,which will make an SD slot have about the same functionality as a PCMCIA slot, i.e. you can hook up all kinds of functionality like Bluetooth, etcetera.

Does anyone know if any or both of the SD slots on the AA1 support SDIO and if there are drivers for it?

Thanks
    /Jorgen

jorgenm, Oct 5, 2008
  2. jorgenm

melhiore

I was thinking about using SDIO GPS module. But ATM I do not have an access to this device and I can not confirm that. What I think SD slot does not have SDIO funcionality and I'm afraid there is no way to use anything else but SD memory card... Everywhere in Internet there is only information about supporting SD memory cards in slot...

melhiore, Oct 5, 2008
  3. jorgenm

tjchick

Hi,

Yes the slot on the right of the machine supports SDIO. I've had this working on linux with a proprietary driver. It should work with the standard linux sdio driver in 2.6.26 as well, but acer have made some changes to sdhci for power control on the device, so suspend/resume might not work right on the vanilla linux kernel.

Cheers,
    Tim

tjchick, Oct 5, 2008
  4. jorgenm

melhiore

That's wonderful!! I'm not using Linux due to lack of necessary software for me but in that case I can use SDIO GPS with AA1 which is perfect solution for me... Hope under Windows everything is OK and there is no problem with SDIO functionality :)

melhiore, Oct 5, 2008
  5. jorgenm

adrianaitken

Hi, I'm waiting for my AA1 to be delivered. I've got a SDIO GPS unit and am planning on upgrading to Windows if I don't like the Linux OS.
    However, where would I get SDIO device drivers from for Windows since most SDIO devices are for Windows CE type computers and have CE,Symbian etc drivers but none for XP.

Regards
    Adrian

adrianaitken, Oct 8, 2008
  6. jorgenm

tjchick

Windoes XP and later have built i n support for SDIO controllers, and the UART (which the GPS should look like) is a standard SDIO device, so it is possible it will all just work. I have no idea for sure though.

There are some servicec packs and hotfixes for sdio on Win XP - check Microsofts site.

Tim

tjchick, Oct 10, 2008
  7. jorgenm

rogue9

I was thinking of using one of the slots for Bluetooth. Found a Toshiba BT card for about $25 on eBay. Would this only work in the right side SD slot?

rogue9, Oct 24, 2008
  8. jorgenm

adrianaitken

Well, plugged my SDIO GPS unit in and it pops up an "install Spectec drivers..." screen. Damn. They only do WinCE and Symbian drivers (for mobile devices).
    Anyone know where I could get compatible drivers from ?

On my Lenovo Thinkpads, it doesn't even register in their SD slots so I think the AAO has proper SDIO capabilities, just need to find devices with Windows drivers !!!

adrianaitken, Oct 25, 2008
  9. jorgenm

melhiore

Sorry to hear about drivers problem, but I'm happy to hear you actually proved SDIO works well... :) Even w/o drivers SDIO unit has been detected properly... Now I know I have to avoid Spectec products ;) I believe this company did not expect anyone plugging their GPS to WindowsXP/2000/Vista machine...

melhiore, Oct 25, 2008
Ask a Question